Menu

Trying to figure out if I can HS

tinaj

I have a 9 yo and a 7 yo, entering 5th and 2nd grades. I also work full-time, although I do work from home. The 9 yo has ADHD and is being assessed for ASD, however, he is highly gifted and learns the things that come to him naturally easily. DD7 also learns the things she likes relatively easily, but can be stubborn about areas that frustrate her (math). They both read well above their grade levels.

I am thinking I can do this if I can combine their lessons in a number of areas and use workboxes in order to keep myself and the children on task. What I really need to know is whether or not teaching them together on most of the below is doable as long as I adjust their supplementary readings/assignments accordingly - I've tried to select curriculum that will allow that. I don't want to hold anyone back or push too hard, but I don't think I can find the time if I can't do most of their instruction together. And I don't mind using videos and computers for some things but don't really want that to be their main source of instruction.

So here's my tentative plan (if I can find the $$ for it :001_smile:)

Language Arts - LoE/MCT/Writer's Workshop - I was thinking I could start them both on LoE moving relatively slowly, as my daughter does quite well in language arts and it is harder for my son. I like LoE because it includes cursive instruction. I would alternate days with MCT. I also like to encourage some creative writing, so would like to do a weekly writer's workshop. I also would like to introduce some narrative and dictation skills, I don't feel they have that at all.

Math - MEP / LoF - I know I can't combine them in math, my son is very advanced, but thought we would start LoF at the beginning and go through it together. I'm on the fence on math, MEP is free but also very teacher intensive. I really don't know what would be best, and I've researched them all - MM, Miquon, SM, etc. They have done Everyday Math in school and I'm not a huge fan. I think we would pretty quickly move towards AoPs for my son. This is probably my area of greatest stress.

History - SoTW - 3 times per week, with supplementary readings from HO for DS9 and just have DD7 read some related books at her level.

Science - BFSU 1-2 times per week. We would supplement with videos and activities on the weekend.

Spanish - Learnables 4 x week

The following are some things I would like to do even though the budget is tight, but I think they would love them:

Geography - Mapping the World by Heart for DS9, probably just some map work for DD7

Logic - Mindbenders

Art - DD7 LOVES art, so I am considering Atelier since there is a deal at the coop coming up...

Computer - Typing for both

I am hoping to be able to provide 2.5 hours of direct instruction and have them do about 2-2.5 hours of independent work (I would be available for questions and plan to break up that time with active play and lunch) each day. Does this seem reasonable for two children who learn relatively quickly and are reading completely independently?

Edited by tinaj

for me and my kids it would not be possible, but i'm low energy and they are anything but independent.

I wonder if you might want to try something like Time4Learning for the basics, to start with - its totally independent and they can move through it at their own pace. Its light - like its certainly not a replacement for something awesome like MCT, but for me i felt like I could focus on the in-depth and fun stuff and leave the boring stuff to the computer. LOF is good for independent work for a strong reader.

a lot of it depends on how organized you are and how motivated and self-directed your kids are. I've told my youngest that if he still wants to homeschool in middle school, he might need to become more independent so I can work part time from home. He was worried, because he KNOWS he has a hard time controlling himself, and his reading is below grade level slightly.

I am hoping to be able to provide 2.5 hours of direct instruction and have them do about 2-2.5 hours of independent work (I would be available for questions) each day. Does this seem reasonable for two children who learn relatively quickly and are reading completely independently?

I am a relatively new homeschooler (just starting my 2nd year) so take my opinion w/ a grain of salt, but I think that sounds reasonable. My oldest 2 kids are in K and 2nd, at the moment we can get through everything on our agendas before lunch (they don't work too independently yet). If your kids are independent workers, then I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do this.

I think 2 hrs of independent work from a 2nd grader is probably asking too much and setting yourselves up for a lot of frustration.

:iagree: (add very vigorous nodding!)

Last semester I did 1st & 2nd - it didn't take that much TIME (once planning was done) but there was VERY little "independent work". In fact, most of 1 kid's independent stuff was taken up doing non-independent stuff with the other! We still could get both grades done in 4 or fewer hours 4 days a week.

This semester I am doing 1st, 2nd & 2 3rd graders - and the amount of time it is taking me is staggering! Of course, I just started a couple of weeks ago and I'm gradually getting more exact with my times (incorporating 2 additional kids). However, it still takes a good 5-6 hours 4 days a week of SOLID, NON-STOP *me* time - and it is exhausting! Pretty much EVERY spare minute that 1 is doing independent work is taken up working with another. The snack break & beginning lunch break I spend making lunch, the end of lunch break I spend cleaning up. I feel like I don't stop moving from 9am to 4pm, and that is without anything additional beyond schooling.

I also work 20 hours a week and take care of horses daily.

I think the overall proposition of homeschooling can definitely be done in conjunction with work, but I think you will need to very carefully plan as teacher-free as possible and still expect to be very hands-on for most of the period you do schooling. That said, with those ages and just 2 kids you can probably spread it out over 5-6 days and just need to have solid focus for 2-3 hours a day with their independent work basically being "play a fun imaginative game & let mom work"! :D

Also, don't be surprised if other household items start to fall behind as you try to adjust to everything. It is hard to catch up on meal planning & weeding & mowing & laundry when you are already run ragged doing everything else!! Lol - ok, now can you tell I'm just tired? :lol: I wouldn't change it for the world, though!

I have a 9 yo and a 7 yo, entering 5th and 2nd grades. I also work full-time, although I do work from home. The 9 yo has ADHD and is being assessed for ASD, however, he is highly gifted and learns the things that come to him naturally easily. DD7 also learns the things she likes relatively easily, but can be stubborn about areas that frustrate her (math). They both read well above their grade levels.

I am thinking I can do this if I can combine their lessons in a number of areas and use workboxes in order to keep myself and the children on task. What I really need to know is whether or not teaching them together on most of the below is doable as long as I adjust their supplementary readings/assignments accordingly - I've tried to select curriculum that will allow that. I don't want to hold anyone back or push too hard, but I don't think I can find the time if I can't do most of their instruction together. And I don't mind using videos and computers for some things but don't really want that to be their main source of instruction.

So here's my tentative plan (if I can find the $$ for it :001_smile:)

Language Arts - LoE/MCT/Writer's Workshop - I was thinking I could start them both on LoE moving relatively slowly, as my daughter does quite well in language arts and it is harder for my son. I like LoE because it includes cursive instruction. I would alternate days with MCT. I also like to encourage some creative writing, so would like to do a weekly writer's workshop. I also would like to introduce some narrative and dictation skills, I don't feel they have that at all.

I do LoE/MCT and I am thrilled with the combination. I am also doing a separate writing program. It's working well for us so far. Your younger might need to go through them a bit slower than your older. But, it would be nice for them to be able to play the LoE games together, etc.

Math - MEP / LoF - I know I can't combine them in math, my son is very advanced, but thought we would start LoF at the beginning and go through it together. I'm on the fence on math, MEP is free but also very teacher intensive. I really don't know what would be best, and I've researched them all - MM, Miquon, SM, etc. They have done Everyday Math in school and I'm not a huge fan. I think we would pretty quickly move towards AoPs for my son. This is probably my area of greatest stress.

Have you considered Beast Academy? It might be below your older's level and above your younger's but it might be a fun thing to do together. I wouldn't use it as your primary for either because of their ages, but it might be worth looking into.

History - SoTW - 3 times per week, with supplementary readings from HO for DS9 and just have DD7 read some related books at her level.

We don't follow the SOTW history schedule; I create our own curriculum, but I do a similar pattern. We have readings we do together, and I assign independent reading. On weekends we do history projects as a family (new this year).

Science - BFSU 1-2 times per week. We would supplement with videos and activities on the weekend.

We have used BFSU in the past. We are changing our focus a bit and using Hakim's Story of Science this year and doing the readings and experiments on the weekend as a family, and I'm assigning independent reading during the week.

We do Spanish daily.

The following are some things I would like to do even though the budget is tight, but I think they would love them:

Geography - Mapping the World by Heart for DS9, probably just some map work for DD7 We do a mix of things, but one big hit here was Maps, Charts, and Graphs which DD does independently..surprising hit because she normally doesn't like workbooks.

Logic - Mindbenders

Art - DD7 LOVES art, so I am considering Atelier since there is a deal at the coop coming up...

We have Atelier but DD has liked Mark Kistler a lot more.

Computer - Typing for both

I am hoping to be able to provide 2.5 hours of direct instruction and have them do about 2-2.5 hours of independent work (I would be available for questions and plan to break up that time with active play and lunch) each day. Does this seem reasonable for two children who learn relatively quickly and are reading completely independently?

I spend anywhere from 1-3 hours daily with DD. It just depends. On ideal days (which aren't our typical state), I wake up and get to work by 5am and work til 7am. DH and DD wake up around 6am, and DH makes breakfast/lunches for all. DD and I start working together at 7am until about 10am. I give her independent work to do and get back to work. She does her independent work and then has lots of free time to do whatever she wants which varies.

Several days a week, though, she goes to activities for 2-3 hours a day. I was feeling like everything was getting crunched so this coming year we have plans for doing science/history projects as a family on the weekends.

I work anywhere from 40-50 hours a week, but it is all from home. So, I'm here if she needs anything. I am in meetings a lot so she has learned when she can interrupt me. I think it would be a lot easier if she had a sibling as long as they got along well!

DH works full time too, outside of the house, but he toggles between multiple sites so he has flexibility and can drop DD off/pick up at activities. He also loves to cook so he handles all our meals, etc.

I spend a lot of time planning/organizing...mostly because I am constantly tweaking things or creating my own curriculum or combos.

So, in our house... with two parents working full time, we have divided up responsibilities. He takes care of the house things--cleaning, feeding, shopping. I take care of schooling things. If I were expected to do it all, I'd never survive. As it is, I feel like neither of us sleeps much. But, we both get to spend time with DD that we would otherwise get to if she were in school.

OK. I really appreciate the feedback. I am glad to hear specifics of how someone else does this. I am accustomed to being regularly interrupted at work and my kids also know when they can bug me and when they can't because I have worked from home for several years. My son, like I said, grasps most concepts very quickly and they do play very well together, I actually think he could help her with a lot of things and that would probably be good for him, too.

They would both have various activities, as well, to maintain physical fitness and to get them out of the house :). I also was planning to try to get some early morning work in. Honestly, sometimes just 2 hours of morning quiet is better than 8 hours during the full day. Saying that, mornings are not my best.

The two-kid thing is what is scaring me a bit, because they are pretty far apart academically. But I have to keep in mind that 2nd grade should be easier and she'll be fortunate to be tagging along for some things without having to do all the extra work!

My comments are in red below. I've included my estimated instruction time for my kids based on our program. Oftentimes it takes less time for me to give instruction, but I have to sit with the kids to make sure work gets done.

Language Arts - LoE/MCT/Writer's Workshop

MCT is teacher intensive. Although a great program, I don't think it will be the light instruction you need. My kids have required reading (independent books for ds9 and short read alouds for dd7) and then write out literature narration, either as self-recall, dictation, or copywork. If I note any literary elements in the reading, we discusss them. DS9 uses Growing With Grammar, which is pretty independent; DD7 uses FLL. Do you have a spelling program?

DS9

Grammar: 5 minutes for new lesson

Literature: 1x week 15-20 minute discussion about book.

Spelling: Completely independent except for testing 1x week.

Writing: Across subjects, 5x week (history 2x, science 2x, literature 1x). 10-20 minutes guiding narration or dictating

DD7

Grammar: 5-10 minutes for lesson

Literature: 10 minutes read aloud

Spelling: 5 minutes

Writing: Same as DS9, but 5-10 minutes of copywork or dictation.

Math - MEP / LoF

If you're looking for instruction within the text, I highly recommend Math Mammoth. I think there is a sale going on now. I purchased the entire curriculum and it has really helped my ds9 move quickly through the topics he understands and provides additional support if he needs more thorough instruction.

DS9: 5-15 minutes if he doesn't understand instruction

DD7: 20-30 minutes. I sit with her the entire time, but she's young. In second, my ds was working independently after a 10-15 minute lesson.

History - SoTW

Love this series. I recommend the AGs for activities, narrations, mapwork, and readings. We don't do everything, but it helps me guide my choices. DS9 does the mapwork on his own, but I help him with his narrations. We read this aloud together.

Both: 10-15 minutes reading, 5-10 minutes mapwork.

I found BFSU very teacher intensive. Since this is your first year, I recommend child-led science. We did this last year and my kids really enjoyed it. For our weekly library visit, they were required to pick a topic. I helped the dd7 use the library catalog to find books and videos, while ds9 explored on his own. They weren't allowed to browse the "fun" shelves until they brought the science books to me for my approval. We also browsed the adult science section, which led to many afternoons watching National Geographic videos. When the kids were tested, the instructor had high praise for their science knowledge.

Both: Completely independent other than family viewing time and supervising experiments.

We used The Learnables, but I had to sit with them to make sure they were paying attention. It takes at least 20 minutes per mini lesson.

Both: 20 minutes of me sitting with them.

Geography - Mapping the World by Heart for DS9, probably just some map work for DD7

The SOTW AG has maps and we pull out the globe for every chapter we read.

If I've done my math correctly, it's about an 1.5 hours direct instruction (including supervision times). Hope this helps.

I also recommend easing into your school year. I tried to hit the ground running when we first started and it didn't work. Start with reading, writing, and math and add the other subjects as you get adjusted.

I think that you should work slowly and steadily, but not pile on things like art and logic until you feel good about the core subject content.

Being that you are new, be ready to seperate them. In theory, it sounds great and doable, but then you have factor in the kids and their learning styles, as well as personality. :D I have had to seperate my three.

I have been homeschooling for 2 years now and have 4 kids at home, 3 of which are in school. I work from home full-time and homeschool in the evenings. It works out great for us. I actually think it is less stressful on everyone doing it this way than when they attended school. You will learn fast what they can and cannot handle on their own. Assign independent work and then schedule a sit down time for the other. I think you will be fine. Good luck.

I work ft from home (infant/toddler daycare). DDs 9&11 are independent for most things (LA, Spelling, Math), nut we do History and Science together. DS works during dc naptime and we do History and science then if time and babies allow. Otherwise we do it in the evening after dinner. Last night, DD9 was invited to go swimming today, so she chose to do her work last night. She worked from 10-11:30pm and slept in this morning. One of the wonderful things about hs is the ability to tailor learning to everyone's needs, including your own.

This has been so helpful, just to see that other people have been successful. I have thought of just starting with the basics, myself, until I figure out what in the world I'm doing.

The advice to start with the basics and do child-led science ring true to me. They both love science so I don't think that would be hard. Although I was never particularly strong at science so part of me wants some direction.

I've also considered Math Mammoth, I think I will give it another review. I am trying to balance pennies but my sanity is also valuable! :001_smile:

Thank you!