Menu

Another 2E Funny

Youngest DD is participating in a research study at UCSF on the effectiveness of methyl B12 shots for treating autism. Yesterday was the screening intake appointment, and one of the things they did was the WPPSI IQ test as the study excludes kids with both ASD and mental retardation.

DD did extremely well on the putting together puzzles sub-test and surprisingly well on the vocabulary portions given her speech delay (good to know that all the work that her speech therapists, preschool teachers, and I have been doing has at least helped her receptive language).

So it came time for the sub-test where DD had to copy the block design that the tester had built. She started off well, but after a few rounds, she clearly got bored with the task. She then decided that *SHE* was going to design the pattern and proceeded to change the tester's design to match hers. :lol:

The tester built a 3 long x 2 wide x 1 high checkerboard pattern but then DD decided she wanted a 1 long x 2 wide x 3 high checkerboard pattern (e.g. the correct pattern but rotated 90 degrees) and quickly changed the tester's blocks to match. Clearly this is a child who will have no trouble with spatial rotation questions when she's older :tongue_smilie:

Youngest DD is participating in a research study at UCSF on the effectiveness of methyl B12 shots for treating autism. Yesterday was the screening intake appointment, and one of the things they did was the WPPSI IQ test as the study excludes kids with both ASD and mental retardation.

DD did extremely well on the putting together puzzles sub-test and surprisingly well on the vocabulary portions given her speech delay (good to know that all the work that her speech therapists, preschool teachers, and I have been doing has at least helped her receptive language).

So it came time for the sub-test where DD had to copy the block design that the tester had built. She started off well, but after a few rounds, she clearly got bored with the task. She then decided that *SHE* was going to design the pattern and proceeded to change the tester's design to match hers. :lol:

The tester built a 3 long x 2 wide x 1 high checkerboard pattern but then DD decided she wanted a 1 long x 2 wide x 3 high checkerboard pattern (e.g. the correct pattern but rotated 90 degrees) and quickly changed the tester's blocks to match. Clearly this is a child who will have no trouble with spatial rotation questions when she's older :tongue_smilie:

How cute!!!

It reminds me of the one really low subtest score that dd had on the WISC. I asked her if that test was difficult for her. She didn't think so at all, and she said if they scored her badly, it's because they didn't let her explain her reasoning, which according to her was very good.

One mom on this forum once told me that out-of-the-box thinkers sometimes run into trouble in testing situations. :001_smile: