Menu

My 15 yo dd s interested in hosing 10th grade this fall. Can you help me?

Haha. Not HOSING but hs-ing. I don't know if this is something that will happen or not but I want to be prepared and somewhat ready. My child is college bound and hopes to become a NICU nurse. I understand I should look at college entry requirements and try to map out a plan for the remaining years.

I will do some searching on the forums but was hoping some could help point me in the right direction. We have done Kolbe in the past with some success. She did frehmen year at ps and enjoyed it as well as received all A grades.

What are the main subjects for 10 th and what are your recommendations?

I know this is a lot to ask. I would be grateful for any help.

Thank you.

Edited by Carpe Diem

The general standard to be competitive for college admissions is 4 years each of English, history, math, and science. At least 2 (preferably more) of the science classes should include labs. At least one course should be taken that has Algebra II as a prerequisite.

Aside from that, a minimum of two years of the same foreign language is generally expected and many colleges prefer to see three years.

Outside of this, there are lots of options. These are the requirements/recommendations for most colleges.

what my oldest did for 10th grade:

English

world history part 1 of 2

Algebra II

Chemistry

P.E.

Personal Finance (1/2 credit)

what my middle did for 10th grade:

English

world history

Algebra II

Physics (and the AP Physics B test)

Piano

Spanish

Edited by AngieW in Texas

I would consider the following to be core subjects for 10th grade:

- English

- Math (The specifics would depend on what she's done to this point. I'd aim at Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II and then one one math course during high school.)

- History (The classical model is pretty different from what is typical in public schools, of course. Geography and the usual American government/economics combo also go in this bucket.)

- Science (As with math, which discipline would depend in part on what she's already done. I believe the typical sequence is Biology, Chemistry, Physics and then one more course.)

- Foreign Language

In addition, I'd assume most 10th graders would have one or two credits' worth of electives each year.

My rising 10th grader will be doing the following courses:

- Modern U.S. History

- English

- Algebra II

- Chemistry

- Spanish II

- American Government (1/2 credit)

- Creative Writing (1/2 credit)

- Intro to Programming (1/2 credit)

- Kitchen science (1/2 credit)

- Art History - American artists (1/2 credit)

- Music History - American composers (1/2 credit)

Thank you for your replies so far. My dd took physical science, algebra, Spanish, English, band, choir and transitions (which was a complete waste of time.) We wish we had her in biology.

So...biology, geometry,English, history, Spanish or Latin. If she was at the ps they would have her in choir which she loves and band which isn't that exciting. She is talented at the piano and would love to play all day.

Jenny I would love to hear more about your plans for our child.

Thanks everyone!

So...biology, geometry,English, history, Spanish or Latin. If she was at the ps they would have her in choir which she loves and band which isn't that exciting. She is talented at the piano and would love to play all day.

Jenny I would love to hear more about your plans for our child.

I have some general information listed in my signature. Anything that doesn't specify the name of a curriculum is probably something I'm mushing together from various resources. Feel free to ask about anything that interests you. I'm always happy to talk about planning!