Menu

We need advice about Dinosaur National Monument

Has anyone from the Hive been there? We are planning to take our 3 kids (ages 13, 10, and 7) in early September. How many days should we plan to stay? Any recommendations? We are flip-flopping between camping and staying in a hotel. Advice appreciated!

It sounds like there is a ton of stuff to see there. :001_smile:

We went there in April. I was 8 months pregnant and we stayed in a motel with an indoor pool in Vernal (UT side). We did a quick trip, getting there Friday evening and leaving Saturday evening.

We went to the visitor center amd got junior ranger books for all the kids. We visited the quarry and then drove around the park, stopping at the old homestead to do a little hike. My dad took some of the kids on other hikes/walks. I wasn't up for heavy duty exploring. :tongue_smilie:

Before we left Vernal to go home, we went to the dinosaur museum they have in town. The kids enjoyed it. :)

I am not sure what else there is to see. More time is good if you enjoy a lot of nature walks or hikes. I would check the website to look at a map and decide what interests you. :)

We camped there -- but it was my oldest's 5th birthday, so it has been a while (9 years). We camped for a weekend and got to thoroughly do the visitor's center and quarry building, plus several hikes and an evening ranger program (in the campground, open just to campers).

Ok, this is helpful! Did anyone see the petroglyphs and pictographs? Does time need to be set aside to see those things separately?

Thanks!

yes, it would be a separate outing. and there is a commercial place where you can dig for your own fossils, using a rock hammer, etc, just an hour or so outside dinosaur. the kids loved it. we were there at noon in july, so me, not so much.;). but i'd do it again, for sure. we saw wild horses that day, too.

here's a link that mention the track bed, too.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28965-i411-k640999-5_year_old_wants_to_dig_for_dinosaur_fossils-Utah.html

hth,

ann

Ok, this is helpful! Did anyone see the petroglyphs and pictographs? Does time need to be set aside to see those things separately?

Thanks!

There is a short hike near the visitor's center where we saw quite a few -- not something that needed much extra time or planning. I think it was a half-mile loop.

Thanks!

There's a place outside the park, privately owned but not expensive, where you can see them up close & it's an awesome hike. I can't remember the name or where it is, but in our hotel in Vernal they had some brochures for local destinations, and that was one of them. It was maybe 20 min from town, and we spent several hours hiking there. That was one of the best stops on our entire vacation. It's just somebody's backyard, a little parking area, shed where you leave a donation, and they've put up some ropes & signs to mark trails.