Menu

In need of ideas for co-op preschool science

I teach preschool science each year at our vacation bible school. You're going to have a fun time with this age group. I usually try to have a short story book, discussion time, and activity and/or craft. The more hands on, the more fun they have. I've found it best to do the activities in small groups with an adult for each group.

Learning about animals and their habitats is always a hit, and it's so easy to find story books and crafts to extend the learning. The basics like water cycle, seeds, weather, body systems, etc all work well too, and you can find tons of activities online. And, don't forget the baking soda volcanoes - a must in our group.

I used to stress that I had to have grand experiments, but I quickly realized how much the kids learn from the simplest things. There's just so much you can do at this age because everything is new. It's really fun to watch them discover.

Hope you have a great year.

I've never watched these. Do they include activities for children?

You can see them on line (pbskids). The class is set up basically like a day in SID's class. I haven't actually seen what they have to use, but from what I find on line there is a curriculum sort of thing. When I hear more i'll post it.

Jenmomo3 has some great ideas!

We did ES: Intro. to Science, which uses More Mudpies and Magnets, last year with K-2nd. We ended up combining some weeks (in botany and geology), left out a few (thermometer), and added a few (human body). I think it is more a PreK program as written (minus the lab write-ups). I will be using it with my 2yo-K class this year for co-op; I think it will go well.

Best wishes!