Menu

HST + Woes

tuzor

For the past two years I have used an online planner that has not met my needs. Each year I look for something else and there never is. Well a few years ago I found HST + paid the $5 to sample and I hated it. It was not intuitive and I did not like the interface. I was never able to try the basic version after that for some reason. Everytime I downloaded it on either of my computers I always recieved an error message.

Fast forward to last night I decided that I would try the basic version. I really need to finalize my planning so getting my lesson plans entered into a database would be great. I download HST basic and I love it. I notice that there are changes to the site. When I first looked at the product several years ago there was only basic and then plus. Now there is basic, plus and online which is a yearly subscription.

Back to the basic version. It was awesome. I stayed up until 4 this morning reading the user manuel and inputting information for next school year. While reading the basic user manual it tells you the difference between the basic and plus version are for the various sections. Some of the plus features looked really good and I thought I would go ahead and purchase the plus version.

I go to bed in a good spot all my resources have been input and several of my lesson plans. I get up this morning and purchase the plus version and I hate it. Its the same interface I tried years ago that I dont like. I can't believe I wasted $49. I should have stayed with the basic version.

Of course I contacted customer support there are no refunds which I knew prior to purchase but I did not think that the interface would be so different.

Anyway if you are using HST+ can you tell me how to erase double assignments. I read in the manual that you can't erase courses tied with assignments but when I downloaded the plus version I tried to make a change to one of the lesson plans already there and it created a duplicate. I can't reclassify it because that would put it somewhere else on the planner and I just want to erase it.

Ugh! I am so kicking myself in the pants right now. I can't believe this.

To delete a lesson plan go to the Maintenance tab, click on the Other tab, on the drop down Select Table to Edit click Lesson Plan Names which will bring up a list of all your lesson plans. Then right click on the lesson plan and an option to delete will appear.

To delete a lesson plan go to the Maintenance tab, click on the Other tab, on the drop down Select Table to Edit click Lesson Plan Names which will bring up a list of all your lesson plans. Then right click on the lesson plan and an option to delete will appear.

Yes but that only allows me to delete one at a time I have 170 lessons over the course of the year that I need to delete all at once.

Sorry, when I did that only default came up. I'm not sure the LP would have a name remember these were added in Basic and when I upgraded the information was transferred.

Edited by tuzor
forgot info

I looked through basic, and I saw no mention of lesson plans. I think that your assignments were converted.

What I would do, depending on how much you scheduled, is to create a lesson plan. From the assignment grid on the student tab, you can send it to a lesson plan. Delete all of the student assignments. Now, as is what makes plus so great, assign the tasks from the planner.

You should create subjects and courses first. You do not have to, but it makes it easier to record any pass or fails, and points earned for any formally graded assignment, which I do not do all that often myself!

If you need help, just hunt me down. :)

You can delete assignments by selecting them all (click on one, then shift click on the last one), then hit delete.

But if it's so much that you want to get rid of, making a new database might be an option? I played with a test database before creating the real one I use now.

I've deleted entire lesson plans before though, so you may not need the new database.

You can delete assignments by selecting them all (click on one, then shift click on the last one), then hit delete.

But if it's so much that you want to get rid of, making a new database might be an option? I played with a test database before creating the real one I use now.

I've deleted entire lesson plans before though, so you may not need the new database.

How do I create a new database. I am so frustrated I think it may be better to start fresh then dealing with the items that were converted from Basic. sigh

How do I create a new database. I am so frustrated I think it may be better to start fresh then dealing with the items that were converted from Basic. sigh

File->New Database

:)

And were your assignments in the assignment grid or in lesson plans or both?

If you want to see ALL the assignments in your assignment grid, just click on the "All dates" section on the left side of the grid. You can then see every single lesson in your current school year. You may need to adjust filters as needed (right above that option - you can see completed assignments, non-completed assignments, all assignments... and select individual subjects/courses or all subjects/courses). Once you can see everything in one spot, you do as I said above - click on the first one, then scroll down and hold the shift key as you click on the last one. Then just hit the delete key. It will warn you that it can't be undone, and you say to do it anyway. :D

Note that assignments in the lesson plans and assignments on the assignment grid are no longer attached to each other. Your lesson plan assignment gets marked "used", so you can get to it again) by adjusting filters on the left side of the lesson plan page), and any changes you make to either assignment grid lesson or lesson plan lesson do not affect the others. So if I want to make changes that are kept, I change it in the lesson plan, delete the assignment grid assignment, and submit the assignment again.

Not sure if any of that makes sense. :lol: Really, HST+ is very easy to use once you get past that initial learning curve.

File->New Database

:)

And were your assignments in the assignment grid or in lesson plans or both?

If you want to see ALL the assignments in your assignment grid, just click on the "All dates" section on the left side of the grid. You can then see every single lesson in your current school year. You may need to adjust filters as needed (right above that option - you can see completed assignments, non-completed assignments, all assignments... and select individual subjects/courses or all subjects/courses). Once you can see everything in one spot, you do as I said above - click on the first one, then scroll down and hold the shift key as you click on the last one. Then just hit the delete key. It will warn you that it can't be undone, and you say to do it anyway. :D

Note that assignments in the lesson plans and assignments on the assignment grid are no longer attached to each other. Your lesson plan assignment gets marked "used", so you can get to it again) by adjusting filters on the left side of the lesson plan page), and any changes you make to either assignment grid lesson or lesson plan lesson do not affect the others. So if I want to make changes that are kept, I change it in the lesson plan, delete the assignment grid assignment, and submit the assignment again.

Not sure if any of that makes sense. :lol: Really, HST+ is very easy to use once you get past that initial learning curve.

I think they are all on the grid. I have not entered anything since I upgraded to the plus version. Because I can't figure it out. The basic was self explanatory. So last night I read the users manual until I fell asleep. When I have a few hours today I will create a new database and start fresh. I am not sure if i can assign them since they are in the grid. Thanks for the encouragement. Seriously, I would have benefitted from a margarita last night. :lol:

Okay guys I'm on a roll. I am going through revising my subjects and courses. Can you tell me if Literature is a subject or a course that would fall under Language Arts.

Thanks. I may master this thing after all. :)

Okay guys I'm on a roll. I am going through revising my subjects and courses. Can you tell me if Literature is a subject or a course that would fall under Language Arts.

Thanks. I may master this thing after all. :)

I never thought I'd get HST+ and was ready to quit but then it all started coming together for me, after about 2 weeks. Hopefully it will do the same for you.

I think its a personal choice but I put literature under LA.

I'm definately feeling more confident today. Yesterday I was almost in tears. Ok how do you guys classify geography as a subject or a course under history. Thanks again for all the kind words.

I have done both. If I'm doing it along with the same history curriculum, then I put it under History. If it is a separate curriculum, I put it under its own heading called Geography.

Quick question, I have set up the school year and Days Available says n/a. Is that because the school year has not started yet. Will these numbers magically pop up the first day of school?

Yes, I think that's why you're seeing that. :)

Another question, when I hit F5 and create assignments then copy to Lesson Plans. Why don't the items show up in LP schedule. I see them on the agenda. I thought creating the assignments I could assign them later but they are already assigned while in the F5 screen. I guess I am not fully understanding the LP and LP schedule features.

I'm definately feeling more confident today. Yesterday I was almost in tears. Ok how do you guys classify geography as a subject or a course under history. Thanks again for all the kind words.

I define Social Studies as the subject, and then geography would be a course.

(Mostly because I was reading this at the time.:lol:)

Another question, when I hit F5 and create assignments then copy to Lesson Plans. Why don't the items show up in LP schedule. I see them on the agenda. I thought creating the assignments I could assign them later but they are already assigned while in the F5 screen. I guess I am not fully understanding the LP and LP schedule features.

Lesson plans are under the teacher tab. Think of this tab as an indicator of the desk that you are at. By creating an assignment under the Student tab, it will only exist at the student's desk. You can pass things from desk to desk, but the best way is from Teacher to Student from submitting it from the lesson plan.

An assignment does not automatically become a task in the lesson plan. A task in the lesson plan can only be an assignment if you submit it from the plan to the assignments tab for the student. Nothing leaves your desk without you telling it to do so.:001_smile:

Lesson plans are under the teacher tab. Think of this tab as an indicator of the desk that you are at. By creating an assignment under the Student tab, it will only exist at the student's desk. You can pass things from desk to desk, but the best way is from Teacher to Student from submitting it from the lesson plan.

An assignment does not automatically become a task in the lesson plan. A task in the lesson plan can only be an assignment if you submit it from the plan to the assignments tab for the student. Nothing leaves your desk without you telling it to do so.:001_smile:

Great answer. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to schedule science. I have created the general lesson plan in LP but have not assigned it to a student but now I would like to create plan for each day of that week. So we have one lesson per week of science but each day we will have a different activity related to that lesson. How would I create this. This is what I want.

Week 1 science lesson 1

day 1

narration, introduce vocabulary read xy pages

day 2

experiment and write up, review vocabulary

day 3

read xy pages, narration sheet,review vocab

day 4

read xy pages, narration sheet, review vocab

day 5

finish activities projects, quiz

Is this possible to create?

I am trying to schedule science. I have created the general lesson plan in LP but have not assigned it to a student but now I would like to create plan for each day of that week. So we have one lesson per week of science but each day we will have a different activity related to that lesson. How would I create this. This is what I want.

Week 1 science lesson 1

day 1

day 2

day 3

day 4

day 5

Is this possible to create?

Are 'xy' pages mathematically the same? Or if not could you substitute part 1 or /1/3 of chapter. But in HST+ you should be able to increment your sequence numbers by 5, and start on the day # (1-5). You'd need to do this 5 times, one for each type of lesson. Then you could go back and add details.

You could put it in with auto-increment in 3 parts.

Homeschool Tracker -> Teacher -> Lesson Plans -> Choose your lesson plan from the drop down box

Then Add -> enter your info but leave the Page/Lessn/Chap empty and click Copy at the bottom -> Tick Auto-Increment Page/Lesson/Chapter

New box pops up -> choose 3 on Number of Parts -> then setup each section as you wish

For example I would:

First Part:

Lesson 1 (add in how ever many lessons there are in the program)

Second Part:

Week 1 (add in how ever many weeks you think you'll take per lesson - so if a lesson takes two weeks, you'll put in start at 1 end at 2)

Third Part:

Day 1 (add in how ever many days you want - so five days would be start at 1 end at 5)

Then click on OK

On the next box, click Begin Copy.

That should do it. But you could play with it until you get a combination you like best. I'm always deleting and adding until I like it.

This is what I want.

Week 1 science lesson 1

day 1

day 2

day 3

day 4

day 5

There are different ways you could approach this. As far as sequencing goes, I sometimes label the sequence numbers such that the first digit is the week and the last digit is the day. So week 1 day 1 would be sequence number 11. Week 36 day 5 would be sequence number 365. Or sometimes, I just let it be numbered 1 to 180 and put the week/lesson number somewhere else (like in the custom field). Really depends on my mood. :lol:

I usually put separate activities as separate assignments. That way, if we don't read xy pages, but we did everything else, I know what we need to do the next week. Though sometimes I combine them, because we'll always do that day all together and never leave stragglers.

I usually try to think logically about the layout before creating assignments, so as to reduce the amount of typing by hand I have to do. Obviously, you're going to have to do SOME typing by hand, even if it's just page numbers (because I'm guessing the page numbers probably aren't "every 5 pages" or something easy like that, which HST+ can do automatically). If you have things like p1-10, p11-15, p16-27, etc., you're going to have to type those by hand, obviously.

Some options:

1) Create them all in one fell swoop, 1-180, using the auto-increment page/lesson/chapter option. You would give it 2 parts, the first one being your "Week" or "Lesson", and the second one being your "Day". So it would be Week/Lesson 1-36 and Day 1-5. The downside to this method is that you now have to enter everything by hand.

2) If there is an exact pattern, where only the xy pages changes, I would create your first day lesson, which starts on sequence 1, then do a copy with an increment of 5. Do this for each assignment on day 1, where you have already filled out the repeating information (and you leave the xy pages blank to fill in by hand afterwards). Then go to day 2 and create that assignment(s), starting sequence number on 2 and increment by 5. Repeat until you've done the whole week. Now all you have to do is go back through the spreadsheet and type in your xy pages.

Now if you do option #2, you can change the activity type to be whatever you want - reading, quiz, whatever. There are a lot of ways to do it. You can edit those activity names over in the maintenance section, where you click on your course and say which activities are associated with it. I think you can also create new activity types while making your LP.

The copy feature in HST+ is very powerful, so it is worth it to learn how to use it effectively. Play around with a fake LP and delete it when you're done.

Are 'xy' pages mathematically the same? Or if not could you substitute part 1 or /1/3 of chapter. But in HST+ you should be able to increment your sequence numbers by 5, and start on the day # (1-5). You'd need to do this 5 times, one for each type of lesson. Then you could go back and add details.

No pages are not set up mathematically, as I will be reading from different books and jumping around within certian books.

You could put it in with auto-increment in 3 parts.

Homeschool Tracker -> Teacher -> Lesson Plans -> Choose your lesson plan from the drop down box

Then Add -> enter your info but leave the Page/Lessn/Chap empty and click Copy at the bottom -> Tick Auto-Increment Page/Lesson/Chapter

New box pops up -> choose 3 on Number of Parts -> then setup each section as you wish

For example I would:

First Part:

Lesson 1 (add in how ever many lessons there are in the program)

Second Part:

Week 1 (add in how ever many weeks you think you'll take per lesson - so if a lesson takes two weeks, you'll put in start at 1 end at 2)

Third Part:

Day 1 (add in how ever many days you want - so five days would be start at 1 end at 5)

Then click on OK

On the next box, click Begin Copy.

That should do it. But you could play with it until you get a combination you like best. I'm always deleting and adding until I like it.

What if the LP is already created but I want to just add the auto increment part. When I go in and select all the auto increment edit this is not coming up.

I don't think you can do it after the fact. You'd have to go in and manually edit everything. The other way is to do it by sequence numbers but you still have to edit everything manually. If you have to end up manually editing each one to add pages or directions etc., you might just want to do it all at the same time. Or try testing and adding a new test LP and see how it adds it for you and if you like it.

Good luck,