Menu

phonics question - letter a

MeganW

What is the trigger that tells you that letter a says "aw" instead of "aaaa"?

Like "all" vs. "Al"?

Hmm..."a" doesn't ever say "aw." There is a slight difference in sound between "aw" and the third sound of "a."

Its most common sound is the one you hear in "hat."

Its second most common sound is the "long" sound; it will say that when there's a single a, single consonant, final silent e, as in "date." It will also say it at the end of a short word or syllable, as in va-ca-tion.

Its third sound is the sound you hear in "father." There isn't a "trigger." :-)

Hmm..."a" doesn't ever say "aw." There is a slight difference in sound between "aw" and the third sound of "a."

Its most common sound is the one you hear in "hat."

Its second most common sound is the "long" sound; it will say that when there's a single a, single consonant, final silent e, as in "date." It will also say it at the end of a short word or syllable, as in va-ca-tion.

Its third sound is the sound you hear in "father." There isn't a "trigger." :-)

Do you think the third sound of "a" might share more in common with the sound of the "aw" phonogram in some dialects/regions? I can hear that subtle difference in my own Midwestern dialect, but if I imagine a southern "y'all" for instance, it seems far closer to "aw".

In British English, 'a' definitely says /aw/ before 'll' and after 'w'. I have taught it as the fourth sound of 'a'.

Spalding doesn't teach it as a fourth sound of "a." It's still one of the three sounds of "a." The words where it says its third sound are marked that way when they dc analyze their spelling words, and it is noted that the sound of "a" may be altered when followed by "l" of after "w."

Do you think the third sound of "a" might share more in common with the sound of the "aw" phonogram in some dialects/regions? I can hear that subtle difference in my own Midwestern dialect, but if I imagine a southern "y'all" for instance, it seems far closer to "aw".

It may, but Spalding teaches different phonograms for that (aw and au), and encourages precise speech for spelling. It works out in the end. :)

in abcthekey.com, which I believe is Spaulding based, they teachb 4 sounds of /A/. short sound, long sound, "ah", and "uh". I think "ah" may be more appropriate than "aw".

Spalding, not SpaUlding. :)

Apparently, abcthekey.com is teaching a schwa, which Mrs. Spalding was opposed to. It is the sound an unemphasized vowel makes, as in "about." We tend to say "uh-bout," but Mrs. Spalding said to say it "a-bout" in the spelling lesson to help children remember the correct spelling.:)

Yes. I am Southern, but definitely not with a rednecky-type accent - just a generic Southern accent. (I was in speech therapy for years, and most Southerners don't think I have an accent at all, though folks from other parts of the country know I am from the south.) The only true problem I have faced so far with phonics/pronunciation is not really hearing a difference between "e" and "i".

I guess I'm not *really* saying "awl" instead of "all", I was just typing it that way b/c it was the closest thing I could come up with make it obvious what I was asking.

The a in father sounds more like a short O to me. Maybe I'm losing it...

The a in father sounds more like a short O to me. Maybe I'm losing it...

No, you're not losing it. That is how it sounds. :)

The words where "a" says its third sound are few; children recognize them when they see them so it isn't a big deal, KWIM?

No, you're not losing it. That is how it sounds. :)

The words where "a" says its third sound are few; children recognize them when they see them so it isn't a big deal, KWIM?

I keep telling myself "SWB says "reading is easy, reading is easy", in encouraging us to know we have the ability to homeschool. But I've overthought this to the point that I am pulling my hair out! (I've done that about quite a few things lately, come to think of it.)

I keep telling myself "SWB says "reading is easy, reading is easy", in encouraging us to know we have the ability to homeschool. But I've overthought this to the point that I am pulling my hair out! (I've done that about quite a few things lately, come to think of it.)

Reading *is* easy, and yes, you're overthinking this, lol.

If you're obsessing over "quite a few things," it's probably time to put stuff away and have some goof-off time. :)