Menu

Has anyone read The Paideia Proposal?

I had it in my hands yesterday. I have about 8 other Alder books on my nightstand as it is. Ack.

This is as far as I got to read at home about it:

http://books.google.com/books?id=h3UavzQVdNUC&printsec=frontcover&dq=inauthor:%22Terry+Roberts%22+inauthor:%22National+Paideia+Center%22&source=bl&ots=dJIDkmEwZq&sig=6OifOwY9C8jVxBVRmiX1sBk5QWM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=5ogPULmaLKmciQK2toC4Cg&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Some browsing from the bottom of this: (last column, far left)

http://paideia.org/for-principals/paideia-schools/

Edited by one*mom

I've read and it and likely have it around here somewhere, as I find Adler interesting. But, it was a program that was meant for schools, so much of it doesn't apply to a homeschool. And honestly his ideas are generally the opposite of homeschool. He supported the idea of the same education for all children whereas homeschool tends to be about an individual and specific program for each child.

I remember his program was split into three parts. I believe it was one part lecture, one part independent study/tutoring and one part group (socratic) discussion. He was an advocate for as little lecture and as much discussion as possible.

Thank you both for the info. I may just have to mine through it, even though it is not geared toward a homeschool setting. I am very interested in becoming proficient in the Socratic and/or Harkness style teaching method(s), and perhaps the discussion section of the book will have some useful tips. Cheers!