Menu

Are there any classics that you're not looking forward to teaching?

Hoot

For the Dickens-haters, I introduced my kids to Dickens this year by listening to abridge audio versions. They LOVED the stories, but were not bogged down with all the verbiage. We listened to David Copperfield and Great Expectations, and read an abridged version of Oliver Twist. Some of the best literature we've done all year.

For me, I dread anything Homer and Greek. I want to want to--but I just don't.

*$#@^ Catcher in the *#%@$ Rye. D*mn over-entitled whiny rich kid. Blech!

AND &$%^ Lord of the *#$% Flies - wow, hate humanity much?

Also Steinbeck and Hemingway, just never could get into those. But I don't HATE them the way I hate Lord of the Flies and Catcher in the Rye.

Anything Russian. I hate depressing stories. Heck, we're seventh grade this year and we're only just NOW getting around to reading Charlotte's Web :D

Oh, and James Fenimore Cooper, but I'm in good company there - http://www.pbs.org/marktwain/learnmore/writings_fenimore.html :D

OTOH, a lot of the things everyone here is dreading I'm looking forward to! I LOVE Great Expectations, and Don Quixote, and Milton! But, one of the big things I'm trying to teach DD this year is to sample widely in literature before she decides she ONLY likes fantasy or mystery or some such.