Menu

Do I need to give notice? For all 3?

I think I am supposed to give notice for my 6yo. She attended Kindergarten at the neighborhood school so should be going to first grade. It makes sense they'd be expecting her and therefore we should unenroll her, right?

What about for these two?

DS5 went to HeadStart last year. It was in another school in the district. Do I need to let the neighborhood school know he won't be attending Kindergarten?

DS4 went to HeadStart last year. The HeadStart director asked me if he would be returning for a 2nd year. I said, "absolutely not!" She said she understood considering how things went. It was SO bad that had we not gotten the order from the judge to homeschool (we did!) and the adoption hadn't happened before school started (adoption is TUESDAY!!!), we were going to move so as not to have him in that school. Anyway, so his spot was not held. And we didn't apply for preK (same school) so he isn't slated to start that either. Do I need to let anyone know he won't be attending?

I would probably send them a letter just so they know but that is all. When I withdrew my son from school I sent a basic letter saying he was going to be home schooled and cited the state law. I got a very nice letter back wishing me good luck. :001_smile:

Here is HSLDA section with the various state laws-

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

Congratulations on the adoption!

In my state (FL), we are required to give notice for ALL children who are Kindergarten level or higher. My 5-year-old starting K this year needed her Letter of Intention submitted, but my 4-year-old (who is doing K level curriculum) does not need a letter until her official K year. Hope this helps!!! We don't need separate letters for each child, but must include all school-age children's names, dob, and start date. We must also submit this letter no later (but can be earlier) than 30 days after the start date...in my opinion, earlier is safer.

I would check your state laws, as they all vary greatly.

I did register my K'er this year as a homeschooler, even though legally I could have waited a year. In my state, I only have to report attendance, and the cover school I use has a per-family fee instead of a per-child fee, so it's not costing me anything and the only extra thing I have to do is keep attendance (I use HST+, so that's done for me) and report to my cover school what we did twice a year (and I don't know how much they even look at that... they've been fine with "random library books on various topics" as our science the last couple years :lol:).

The reason why I registered my K'er is because he is in speech therapy at the public school, so since he is currently "in the system", I went ahead and registered him. If he hadn't been in the system, I could have easily waited. No big deal. He'll be continuing speech therapy this year, so it will be nice to have the paper saying he's homeschooled, just in case someone gets concerned.

I'm not sure how the Headstart programs work. If you could decline to use it and not worry about the homeschool part, that might work. Again though, it really depends on your state laws. Also, what do you have to do if your child is registered as a homeschooler? Is there any portfolio or testing involved? If there are a lot of hoops to jump through, I'd rather wait to register. If all you have to do is give a letter and nothing else is required, I'd be more inclined to register to avoid possible truancy issues (even if they're unfounded - I still don't want to deal with it... I have a friend whose autistic 3 year old was in HeadStart and missed too many days for true illness, and she had to go to a truancy hearing! The age of required enrollment in school was 7 at the time, and it changes to 6 this school year, but they still said her 3 year old was truant because he was in the public school system's preschool program :glare:).

I think I am supposed to give notice for my 6yo. She attended Kindergarten at the neighborhood school so should be going to first grade. It makes sense they'd be expecting her and therefore we should unenroll her, right?

Yes.

I would check your state laws, as they all vary greatly.

This.

Also, check your district website, since they may have a person in their office who receives any necessary paperwork. In our state, we file a notice of intent, and they have the simple form for it right on the website. It can be filled out, scanned and emailed back.

Sorry. There is no registering our homeschool. If we hadn't sent them to school last year (not a choice as they were foster children and now, all kids over 3 must be in a public school program if there is one available), we wouldn't have to do anything per state law.

My only concern is because they DID attend school.