Menu

My score today - $300 Excaliber Food dehydrator for $30

What. A. SCORE!

My favs are strawberries and bananas-those two don't last long here, shredded zuchinni for uses later, tomatoes, fruit rolls too. I don't know about cukes...haven't had enough to worry about doing anything with those.

Kale chips are most yummy in them.

I dehydrate squash in slices too. Layered for squash bakes, tossed in soups or spagetti sauce, etc.

I dehydrate my extra tomatoes and use them in place of sun-drieds. You can then powder the dried tomatoes in a coffee grinder to use for thickening soups etc.

Kale chips with just a little bit of olive oil and sea salt. Dehydrate overnight.

Puree various fruits, spread on a thin Teflex sheet and dehydrate until dry for a healthier fruit roll-up. I puree over-ripe bananas and use them dehydrated as crepe wrappers. For the creamy filling I use a thick Thai coconut base and add raspberries.

I make raw crackers using a buckwheat or flax base.

I'll post some good recipes below.

Everything Bagels

2/3 C. Sunflower Seeds

1/3 C. Flax Seeds

1/3 C. Onion

1 Clove Garlic

1 - 2 T. Sesame Seeds

1 T. Dill Weed (dry)

1/3 C. Water

pinch sea salt

Grind the flax seeds into a fine powder in a coffee grinder.

Transfer to a food processor and add the sunflower seeds. Whirl until the sunnies are processed into a meal.

Add the onion, garlic, sesame seeds, dill, salt and water. Again, whirl until just processed.

Form into round balls and place on your dehydrator tray. Flatten out the balls a bit and make a hole in the center to resemble a typical bagel.

Dehydrate on 110* overnight (approx. 6 - 8 hrs.)

*I found that this recipe only made 3 smallish bagel halves. Next time I will quadruple the recipe so I have plenty on hand. I'll also try freezing them to see how they do.

Cream Cheeze

1 C. Cashews

1 T. Probiotic powder (any)

Water

Juice from 1/4 lemon

1 T. Nutritional Yeast

pinch sea salt

Process the cashews and probiotic powder with just enough water to turn the cashews into a smooth cream.

Leave overnight in a lidded container in the dehydrator.

The next day mix in the lemon juice, nutritional yeast and sea salt.

Red Pepper Tortillas

(makes approximately 8 small tortillas)

1/2 cup flax seeds

1/2 cup water

1 cup red bell pepper, diced

1 tbs. olive oil

1 tbs. nama shoyu

1 jalapeño, diced

1 tsp. Mexican oregano

1 tsp. fresh ground cumin

salt and pepper to taste

Soak the flax seeds with the water and let sit for 15 minutes. Put the flax seeds and the rest of the ingredients into the Vita-Mix and process on high until smooth -- this will tax the machine, but that's why you bought it in the first place.

Spread out the mixture into 7" rounds with an offset spatula and dehydrate around an hour on 105F. Carefully flip the tortillas and dehydrate for an additional 30 minutes or so. Take a peak at this point to make sure they're not too dry -- you want them flexible enough so you can roll them later. You can make these a day in advance and store in the fridge if needed.

Lasagne

On a mandolin, thin slice a zucchini. Even though I used the thinnest blade for this they weren't paper thin or anything. They were about the same thickness as a regular lasagna noodle, which was just perfect.

Rawcotta Cheeze

1 C. cashews

2 Tb. pine nuts

1/2 tsp. sea salt

2 Tb. lemon juice

fresh parsley, a few shakes of dill weed and some dried Italian seasoning (I didn't measure any of these)

a little nutritional yeast

a little apple cider vinegar

about 1 C. water

I found this recipe somewhere and then just added things to taste which is why there are no measurements for some things.

Toss it all in the blender and give it a whirl until it's nice and smooth. I started off with about 1/2 C. water and drizzled more as it blended until I got the right consistency.

Sauce

2 ripe tomatoes

about 12 sundried tomatoes (unsoaked)

dash olive oil

sea salt

onion powder

garlic powder

pepper

Italian seasoning

splash of water to help it blend

Toss everything in the blender and whirl until smooth. Again, I don't measure, I just taste as I go along.

Spinach

few handfuls of fresh spinach

dash sea salt or herbamare

garlic powder

dash olive oil

Pulse chop in the food processor until finely chopped but not blended.

Marinated Mushrooms

button mushrooms

olive oil

tamari, Braggs or Nama Shoyu

Put everything in a bowl and stir. Leave until the mushrooms become sort of wilty and shrink. This happens faster in the dehydrator or you can just leave them overnight on the counter.

Now just layer everything in a small dish -- zucchini noodles, rawcotta, spinach, marinated mushrooms, tomato sauce, zucchini noodles, tomato sauce -- and pop it in the dehydrator for a few hours. I think I left it in for maybe 6 hrs. on 100* and then ate it the next day for lunch.

Avocado Fries

avocado

1/2 C. ground flax seeds

1 - 2 tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp. sea salt

1 tsp. oregano

1 Tb. nutritional yeast

Slice avocado in long thick strips.

In a plastic bag or bowl mix the other ingredients.

Add avocado strips and shake to coat.

Either eat them as is or dehydrate.

Personally, I liked them better after they dehydrated overnight. They developed a far denser, fry-like texture.