Menu

Ramadan question

What would be nice to do for a very large family with very limited resources during Ramadan? Only the two oldest (of eight) children fast. I think maybe the third oldest fasts but not strictly. In their family, I think strict fasting starts to be expected at age 14, and they have six under that age.

I sometimes help the family with food gifts because their budget is very small, and I was thinking I would take something over tomorrow. I don't know if it would be better to take food that would be best for the littler children to eat during the day so that Mom doesn't have to deal with food when she is hungry, or if it would be better to take food she could cook for the late night/early morning meals. Are there traditional Ramadan foods? (they are Somali Muslims, so it might be different from Middle East countries).

Do people give each other food gifts at Ramadan?

How thoughtful and kind of you :001_smile:

I don't know much about what Somali food is like, but your gesture will be appreciated whether it is for the littles or the bigs.

I plan to feed the non-fasters leftovers from the night before for their dinner since the fasting people will break their fast at 9pm which is way past the littles' regular dinner time. I'll probably make some easy casseroles for the lunches, frozen pizzas, or pb&j sandwiches.

One thing that is common to most fasting folks is to have a soup. It's liquid and nutritious and a good way to start the meal.

They might eat only halal meat which is I have to buy at local supermarkets, so if you're not sure then you could go for fish or vegetarian foods.

Does any of that help??

Yep, not out of line at all. Very kind. I'm usually so tired at parts of the day that i don't feel like doing anything, so every little bit helps. I'm just now preparing the meat I'm going to finish the meal with tomorrow so that the hard part is done:D