Menu

McRuffy Phonics

Staceyshoe

I'm strongly considering this for my youngest. Any advice about that choice? Would I order the kit with the colored readers? Or are there pieces of the kit that are unnecessary?

ETA: Ds can read CVC words, but he definitely needs more practice with it. He hates reviewing info he already knows. Does the transition package provide some review of CVC words?

Edited by Staceyshoe

We did the black and white version. When dd finished she colored the readers. It is a very good program. It does move quickly but covers everything. I don't remember much about the transition package. It was awhile ago for us.

I would say you definitely need the whole kit. I used every piece that came with it.

And here's a totally different review than the above ;)

We used the colored version, and I thought it moved slowly. We hardly ever used the games or the extra "fun" things that came with it. If I were to do it again, I would just get the teacher's manual, workbooks, and readers if that is cheaper than getting the entire package with all the other extra stuff.

We used the entire year of the K materials back when my dd was 4yo. They did not have the transition package available then.

Edited by laf512

I would suggest emailing them and asking your specific question about the transition package- I did when I had questions and he responded fairly quickly.

Ordering all the extra would depend on your son- does he like games and hands on stuff? I used some of the first grade and my daughter enjoyed the extra stuff. I did slow down the program to begin with (first grade) as she was not exposed to everything they had in their Kinder package, but otherwise it was fine. Sorry I know you're asking about kinder but thought I'd just share anyway! :)