Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - week 29

#77 Things We Didn't See Coming (Steven Amsterdam) Fiction. I know I've heaped superlatives on this month's reading, but Amsterdam's collection of related short stories set in utterly recognizable and believable post-apocalyptic world was, in a word, brilliant.

~~ Robin, I'm so glad to hear your mother is doing well. I'll continue to send good thoughts.

We are studying WWII in history, and I've been doing some self-education. I read Winston Churchill: Soldier, Statesman, Artist by John B. Severance and two books by Albert Marrin: Hitler and Overlord: D-Day and the Invasion of Europe. Although intended for middle schoolers and high schoolers, I found them quite well-written and interesting, especially the Marrin books.

And thanks to the recommendations for Georgette Heyer's books by several ladies here, I ventured to try Cotillion. I listened to the Audible audio recording and really enjoyed both the story and the narration.

That brings me up to 32 books so far!:)

Glad to hear your mother is doing better, Robin. :grouphug:

I just finished listening to People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks. Two thoughts dominate my response to it: First, the Jews really could not catch a break through most of history. I knew that, but it was brought home to me over and over again. Second, Geraldine Brooks is a great writer.

My book club has chosen The Great Gatsby for next month, so I guess I will be re-reading it this year! :) I'm about to start the audio book.