Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - week 29

Good Morning, my lovelies! Today is the start of week 29 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome back to all our readers, welcome to all those just joining in and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews.

52 books blog - Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: I don't read alot of non fiction, especially memoir type but this one intrigued me. Sankovitch documented her year of reading at Readallday.org where she reviewed all the books. Her reading was rather eclectic and I already lost an hour perusing through her thoughts on some of the books. My wishlist is going to grow by leaps and bounds. But first, I need to read the book. Will let you know what I think when done. And no it isn't going to prompt a read a book a day project. I may be a fast reader, but not that fast.

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 28

Edited by Mytwoblessings

Yesterday I started new to me author Rachel Neumeier's fantasy novel "House of Shadows" which just came out on July 10th. Enjoying it so far.

Synopsis: "Orphaned, two sisters are left to find their own way.

Sweet and proper, Karah's future seems secure at a glamorous Flower House. She could be pampered for the rest of her life... if she agrees to play their game.

Nemienne, neither sweet nor proper, has fewer choices. Left with no alternative, she accepts a mysterious mage's offer of an apprenticeship. Agreeing means a home and survival, but can Nemienne trust the mage?

With the arrival of a foreign bard into the quiet city, dangerous secrets are unearthed, and both sisters find themselves at the center of a plot that threatens not only to upset their newly found lives, but also to destroy their kingdom."

#70 Amped (Daniel H. Wilson; fiction)

Entertaining if thin sci-fi from the author of Robopocalypse, which I enjoyed last summer.

#69 Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything (Joshua Foer; non-fiction)

This was our audio accompaniment for our ill-fated trip to the Illinois Shakespeare Festival. (Temps were 105 when we arrived in Bloomington. As it turned out, the Festival had cancelled the evening's events about an hour and half after we had gotten on the road. Sigh.) All of us give it an enthusiastic thumbs-up.

#68 The Group (Mary McCarthy; fiction)

You challenged us to read a NYT bestseller from the week and year we were born. As it happens, The Group was #2 during my week. It was a dated but compelling read.

#67 The Age of Miracles (Karen Thompson Walker; fiction)

I loved this quiet work of post-apocalyptic fiction, even if others didn't. There is something about summer reading for me, though: It's more... forgiving.

I think I may finish several other books this week, too:

â–  Falling for Hamlet (Michelle Ray; YA fiction)

â–  Happy Endings Are All Alike (Sandra Scoppetone; YA fiction -- for Shelf Discovery)

â–  A Long Way Gone (Ishmael Beah; non-fiction)

â–  The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need (Andrew Tobias; non-fiction)

Complete list of books read in 2012 here.

Wending my way through SEAL of my dreams; it's an anthology of romance fiction featuring a SEAL in each story. It's pleasant reading though uneven as anthologies so often are.

Regards,

Kareni

Enjoyed this one. So many good stories. Here's the background about the book and the picture that started it all. Proceeds from the book go to veteran medical research.

Finished a few books this week:

52.) Mother Love: Poems by Rita Dove - This is a book of contemporary poetry (published 1996) written in sections. In each section an aspect of the mother/daughter relationship is explored by a series of poems that tell a story - the story being a modernization of the Persephone and Demeter Greek myth. For example, one section explores the loss of a child through a modernization of the part of the Persephone story when she enters the underworld - the modernization being that the child was kidnapped on her way to school. In later sections the daughter is older and different portions of the Persephone and Demeter story are modernized while different parts of the mother/daughter relationship are explored. I didn't like all the poems, but I enjoyed the book in general.

53.) The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson - I liked this book much more than the first in the series. I thought the pacing was much better. I also would prefer to read and learn about Lisbeth than about some privileged, and sometimes racist businessmen/women.

54.) A Poetry Handbook by Mary Oliver - This was a great book about poetry - a lot about technical aspects, a little about the history and evolution of poetry. It is just 122 pages, so not everything anyone wants to know about poetry is in here, but there are some good insights, advice, and examples. Occasionally something is said with a frankness I really appreciate.

#25 In Harm's Way: The Sinking of the USS Indianapolis by Doug Stanton

#26 Pink Boots and a Machete by Mireya Mayor

#27 One Breath Away by Heather Gudenkauf

I've been working my way through the audio of The Book Thief (literally, on the treadmill) and am deciding what to start next. Picked up A Walk Across the Sun on the browsing shelf at the library which I may start next.

Dh and I are heading off to a beach resort this week - he is speaking at a water conference and I am going along for the ride. Our first trip without kids in 10 years. I am loading up on e-books with plans for lots of lounging in the sun. ;)

This week I read:

(49) The Great Indoors by Durrant

(50) Rules of Civility by Amor Towles

They were both novels, nothing special. Actually, Rules of Civility I didn't "get". I kept reading it because I thought it would go somewhere, and it didn't seem to. I had a tough week and I don't know if I just wasn't paying attention while I was reading, or if it was as ramble-y as I thought.

I am still trying to get through Elizabeth the Queen. It's interesting in some parts, and then other parts are very dry.

I am VERY motivated to get my 52 books completed this week :D!!!

Finished:

#36 - Outwitting History: The Amazing Adventures of a Man Who Rescued a Million Yiddish Books, by Aaron Lansky. I totally enjoyed this. It was a can't put down, page-turner. I also learned a lot - things (historically speaking) that actually surprised/startled/shocked me as I had not heard or read them before. Since those things can be construed to be political in nature, it would be best to stop that line of type here! Nonetheless, this book was incredibly inspiring, and I am so glad I read it! It may turn out to be one of my top ten this year.

I am currently about to conclude:

#37 - The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels, by Ree Drummond. I am overall disappointed with this biography and eager to finish it so I can move on to something hopefully better. I am more than three-quarters done with it and the book has been brutally repetitious thus far. I get it - she thinks her boyfriend/fiance/husband is cute, hot, sexy; they eat, make out, eat some more, make out some more; things are steamy, romantic, passionate; they are, in her seemingly favorite description, in love and lust. Okay-okay. With about fifty pages left and the two finally married, I am doubtful whether any real substance will follow - and that's a shame because I think she had some material that could have been worthwhile if she had concentrated on that instead of trying to be the next Harlequin queen of steam.

53.) The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson - I liked this book much more than the first in the series.

I love Lisbeth and the entire trilogy. I wish he'd lived to write more. His plan was to write 10 in the series.

I finished two Alexander McCall Smith books last week. Nothing incredible, but enjoyable and just what I needed nonetheless.

Full Cupboard of Life Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 3 Stars

In the Company of Cheerful Ladies Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 3 Stars

Reading National Geographic at the moment. Not sure what to start on next.

I love Lisbeth and the entire trilogy. I wish he'd lived to write more. His plan was to write 10 in the series.

10! Wow, didn't know that. I mean I didn't even know he had planned to write any more for this series. If there were 10 books, I'm not sure I would have read them. I decided to go ahead and read this series partially because three books isn't a huge commitment.

This week I've read Katherine Kurtz's Adept series books one and two, The Adept and The Lodge of the Lynx, they are old favorites.

Started and abandoned Boyd Morrison's The Ark, it wasn't very good.

Also had an absolute blast reading Jim C. Hines, Princess Novels. Original and fantastic takes off the old stories. On the website linked above you can read the first chapter of the books and see if you like them.

The Stepsister Scheme

The Mermaid's Madness

Red Hood's Revenge

The Snow Queen's Shadow

I have missed a few weeks due to being on vacation but I am getting back in the saddle!

This week...

Started reading:

Blood Feud: The Hatfields and the McCoys: Epic Story of Murder and Vengeance

Still reading:

Desiring God

Frankenstein

Completed:

27. Among the Gods

26. The Deadliest Monster

25. Faith of My Fathers

24. A Good American

23. They Say/I Say:The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing

22. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

21. Insurgent

20. Stand: A Call for the Endurance of the Saints

19. The Strength of His Hands

18. The Meaning of Marriage

17. Funny in Farsi

16. The Constantine Codex

15. What the Dog Saw

14. What is the Mission of the Church?: Making Sense of Social Justice, Shalom, and the Great Commission

13. Gods and Kings

12. A Skeleton in God's Closet

11. My Hands Came Away Red

10. The Omnivore's Dilemma

9. Dead Heat

8. Redeeming Love

7. Family Driven Faith: What it Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God

6. Organized Simplicity

5. Year of Wonders

4. The Holiness of God

3. The Paris Wife

2. The Peach Keeper

1. Relic

Also had an absolute blast reading Jim C. Hines, Princess Novels. Original and fantastic takes off the old stories. On the website linked above you can read the first chapter of the books and see if you like them.

The Stepsister Scheme

The Mermaid's Madness

Red Hood's Revenge

The Snow Queen's Shadow

Those look really fun. I think my teen dd would enjoy them too.

#73 A Thousand Cuts (Simon Lelic; fiction)

Quite possibly the best book I've read this year, Lelic's debut novel blends interview transcripts with more traditional narrative describing Detective Inspector Lucia May's life and work to provide a complex and, in the end, haunting work about bullying -- which, readers learn, is not confined to classrooms and playgrounds.

Some quotes:

p. 31

It was in the living room that she kept her books. She read a lot. Novels, mainly; history books if she felt she had been gorging on Rebus. The books filled the shelves the landlord had left for her, as well as her IKEA bookcase. She liked to let her eyes graze on the spines. She liked being able to identify a book without being close enough to read its title. The battered corners, the creases on each cover -- they were a mark of familiarity.

p. 57

The thing with Samuel, you see, is that he had opinions. Have you noticed how these days nobody has an opinion? People say too much and they don't listen but when they speak they talk about nothing. Samuel seemed aloof because he was quiet but if you were ever to talk to him -- and I mean talk to him, not chat with him, not try to pass the time -- he would talk to you right back. He would listen to what you had to say, genuinely listen, and he would tell you what he thought himself. And his opinions could seem conceited or misconceived or sometimes a little scary but at least he had an opinion.

p. 78

Besides, it's not what they say, is it? It's that they're saying it. And if they're teasing you, everyone else is ignoring you, even your mates, even your best friends, and those days, that term or however long it goes on for, because for some people it never stops, it just goes on and on until God, I don't know, until you leave school I guess, or until Donovan ... Well. That whole time, though, you could be surrounded by people, your friends like, people you thought were your friends, and the sun could be shining and there could be a million pounds just lying in the gutter and still you'd feel like the most miserable, the most unlucky, the most loneliest person in the world. You're a policewoman. I don't suppose anyone ever bullies you. But trust me. Being bullied: it bites.

#72 Falling for Hamlet (Michelle Ray; YA fiction)

I wanted this to be better than it was. Sigh.

#71 Happy Endings Are All Alike (Sandra Scoppetone; YA fiction)

My Chapter 8 -- "Him She Loves: Romanced, Rejected, Affianced, Dejected" -- choice for Girl Detective's "Summer of Shelf Discovery" reading project (related entry here) was Sandra Scoppettone's Happy Endings Are All Alike.

Published in 1978, the novel frankly and sensitively examines the relationship between two young women, as well as the concern, fear, misunderstanding, and loathing to which they are subjected because of their affair. While the brutal physical assault on Jaret is certainly the embodiment of the societal rejection they face, it was the depiction of the sister's verbal abuse and her amateur diagnoses that most discomfited me. Claire was a beast.

What I appreciated most about Scoppettone's novel was her portrayal of the girls' parents, whose reactions rang true: cautious acceptance, dumbfounded silence, curiosity. It worked for me.

It's puzzling that a well written book about so contemporary a subject is out of print. This one deserves a place on school library shelves, as well as in the local library's YA section.

Complete list of books read in 2012 here.

Edited by Mental multivitamin
To add info about #71

I've been in a real slump lately. Nothing has been catching my attention or holding it, or even seeming to be interesting enough to get me to want to open a book. I think since my last update I've got:

#36 - Homestaging for Dummies (had to get our house ready to sell for a corporate move relatively quickly and completely unplanned).

#37 - The Man Who Liked Books Too Much. Enjoyed this one and it was a fast read, which is good.

I started Love You More by Lisa Gardner. I am enjoying it so far, but I find myself wanting to do a million things other than reading.

Off to comb the past few weeks' lists in order to see if something catches my eye....

COMPLETE

1. Envy, by J.R. Ward (Fallen Angels series)

2. Kiss of the Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

3. The Ramayana, A Shortened Modern Prose Version of the Indian Epic, by R.K. Narayan (with my daughter for school reading)

4. Dark Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

5. The Immortal Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

6. Spell of the Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

7. 11/22/63, by Stephen King

8. The Traveler, by John Twelve Hawks (Fourth Realm Trilogy, Book 1)

9. Into the Dreaming, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

10. A Judgement In Stone, by Ruth Rendel

11. The Dark River, by John Twelve Hawks (Fourth Realm Trilogy, Book 2)

12. The Golden City, by John Twelve Hawks (Fourth Realm Trilogy, Book 3)

13. Forbidden Pleasure, by Lora Leigh

14. Relic, by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

15. House Rules, by Jodi Picoult

16. Midwives, by Chris Bohjalian

17. Wind Through the Keyhole, by Stephen King

18. The High Flyer, by Susan Howatch.

19. Daughter of the Blood, by Anne Bishop (The Black Jewels Trilogy, Book 1)

20. Heir to the Shadows, by Anne Bishop (The Black Jewels Trilogy, Book 2)

21. The Host, by Stephenie Meyer

22. Queen of the Darkness, by Anne Bishop (The Black Jewels Trilogy, Book 3)

23. The Invisible Ring, by Anne Bishop (The Black Jewels series)

24. Fifty Shades of Grey, by E.L. James

25. Fifty Shades Darker, by E.L. James

26. Fifty Shades Freed, by E.L. James

27. Dreams Made Flesh, by Anne Bishop (The Black Jewels series)

28. Tangled Webs, by Anne Bishop (The Black Jewels series)

29. Goodnight Nobody, by Jennifer Weiner

CURRENT

30. Kiss the Dead, by Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series)

31. Ahab's Wife, by Sena Jeter Naslund

I added a mini-review of the Scoppettone novel to my previous post, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

The question of the afternoon is now... What next? I have so many good to excellent books to choose from, but when I'm in this sort of mood, I bounce from book to book in search of the right one.

Off I go to serial-date my collection. Sign me, an unabashedly promiscuous reader. Heh, heh, heh.

I've got nothing going :bored:

Ok wait, I take that back. I've got about five books going, but I'm not really interested in any of them.

Good thing I got a running start early in the year since now I seem to be in the Reading Doldrums. :thumbdown:

Well, I'm currently in the middle of two, but have been so busy w/ other things that the books aren't calling to me. At all. Sigh.

I think I'm in the Reading Doldrums with you.

#37 - The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels, by Ree Drummond. I am overall disappointed with this biography and eager to finish it so I can move on to something hopefully better. I am more than three-quarters done with it and the book has been brutally repetitious thus far. I get it - she thinks her boyfriend/fiance/husband is cute, hot, sexy; they eat, make out, eat some more, make out some more; things are steamy, romantic, passionate; they are, in her seemingly favorite description, in love and lust. Okay-okay. With about fifty pages left and the two finally married, I am doubtful whether any real substance will follow - and that's a shame because I think she had some material that could have been worthwhile if she had concentrated on that instead of trying to be the next Harlequin queen of steam.

I've read an excerpt from her book and thought the same thing. It had potential but she's just not a novelist.

The Stepsister Scheme

The Mermaid's Madness

Red Hood's Revenge

The Snow Queen's Shadow

Those sound really interesting. Thanks for the recommendation!

I'm still trudging through Sol Stein's writing book. It's good. Very educational just not a page turner. I should have tried a chapter a week thing instead of trying to read it like a novel. The end is in sight though.

I think I'm in the Reading Doldrums with you.

Me too. Yesterday I started 3 books on my Kindle and deleted them all after they didn't grab me. I gave each at least 10%, if not, more. I miss reading a book that really and truly grabs me.

Finally! Done with Stein on Writing by Sol Stein. I've already talked about it a bit on this thread but I want to formally recommend it now for everyone who aspires to be a writer. Great information. It is a slow read so don't plan on sitting down and flying through it. Also, Sol Stein is pretty arrogant so you have to look past that when reading his book.

In progress:

Supermarket by Satoshi Azuchi (for book club)

Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto

Crocodiles on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters

Calico Bush by Rachel Field (read aloud)

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome (audiobook)

2012 finished books:

82. Stein on Writing by Sol Stein (****)

81. Order from Chaos by Liz Davenport (**)

80. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (****)

79. 4:50 From Paddington by Agatha Christie (***)

78. Hark! A Vagrant by Kate Beaton (****)

77. 84, Charing Cross by Helene Hanff (****)

76. The Unknown Ajax by Georgette Heyer (****)

75. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore (***)

74. An Unsuitable Job for a Woman by PD James (***)

73. Behind the Bedroom Wall by Laura Williams (***)

72. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (****)

71. The Fellowship of the Ring by JRR Tolkien (****)

70. The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien (**)

69. The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald (****)

68. The School Story by Andrew Clement - read aloud (****)

67. The Great Brain by John D. Fitzgerald (*)

66. Free-Range Kids by Lenore Skenazy (***)

65. Red Sails to Capri by Ann Weil -read aloud (***)

64. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglass Adams (*****)

63. Death of a Cad by MC Beaton (**)

62. Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (***)

61. The Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs (***)

60. A Pocket Full of Rye by Agatha Christie (***)

59. The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence) by Agatha Christie (****)

58. Tales of Robin Hood by Tony Allan - read aloud (****)

57. Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace (*****)

56. The Beekeepers Apprentice by Laurie R. King (****)

55. Death of a Gossip by MC Beaton (***)

54. The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett (**)

53. On Writing by Stephen King (*****)

52. Maus by Art Spiegelman (****)

51. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (***)

50. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins (****)

49. The Night Bookmobile by Audrey Niffinegger (*)

48. Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson (***)

47. Casino Royale - James Bond by Ian Fleming (**)

46. A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson - Audiobook (***)

45. The Lucky Shopping Manual by Kim Lenitt (*****)

44. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (****)

43. Half Moon Investigations by Eoin Colfer - Audiobook (****)

42. Half Magic by Edward Eager (***)

41. Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Wrede - Read Aloud (****)

Books 1 - 40

Amy's Rating System:

***** - Fantastic, couldn't put it down

**** - Very good

*** - Enjoyable but nothing special

** - Not recommended

* - Horrible

#76 Brain Power: Improve Your Mind as You Age (Michael J. Gelb and Kelly Howell; non-fiction)

A repetitive retread of the same ol' "feed your mind, eat right, exercise" advice you've heard before. Neat bit of synchronicity, though: Tony Buzan, whose memory empire is featured in Moonwalking with Einstein, penned the introduction.

#75 The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need (Andrew Tobias; non-fiction)

Rudimentary but helpful.

#74 The Tale of Paradise Lost: Based on the Poem by John Milton (Nancy Willard; fiction)

With the Misses. This abridgement has both fans and foes. I will simply say that it's serviceable.

I need to do some calculations, but I think I'm closer to my personal goal of a "(Non-fiction) Book a Week in 2012." Yes! I'm now at 26 non-fiction titles. Getting there, getting there.

Complete list of books read in 2012 can be found here.

Wending my way through SEAL of my dreams; it's an anthology of romance fiction featuring a SEAL in each story. It's pleasant reading though uneven as anthologies so often are.

Regards,

Kareni

Will the stories make me cry?

I just finished My Formerly Hot Life and there were parts that made me laugh out loud. Other parts I feel like she went on and on about weight, and I became bored. Probably because I don't relate to that part. I also don't relate to her "marriage is really hard.....harder than parenting" point of view. In fact, I just found out yesterday that the author is now divorced which is sad. However, it was overall a fun book.

I also finally finished George's Secret Key to the Universe which my ds wanted me to read. Learned something new about black holes.

69. Quiet: the power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking by Susan Cain~non-fiction, introversion. I'm an introvert so I was looking forward to this one, but I was slightly disappointed in it. There were too many times I thought she was stretching a bit to get her point across (for instance, using an introverted Presbyterian minister to critique more charismatic evangelicals?) and I didn't feel the section on raising introverted children was very helpful. Eh. It wasn't bad, but not up to Outliers in terms of non-fiction storytelling/reporting.

68. The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall~children's fiction, sisters, adventure. *

67. The Intrigue at Highbury by Carrie Bebris~Jane Austen, mystery, Mr. & Mrs. Darcy.

66. Heirloom Baking with the Brass Sisters by Marilynn Brass and Sheila Brass~cookbook, 20th century, collecting recipes.

65. The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy~fiction, southern gothic, coming of age, abusive family.

64. The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte by Syrie James~fiction, Charlotte Bronte, biography, journal.

63. The Ballad of Lucy Whipple by Karen Cushman~youth fiction, California, Gold Rush.

61. The Poisoner's Handbook by Deborah Blum~non-fiction, forensic science, chemistry, New York, Prohibition. *

60. Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons~parody, farm family/life, '30s.

59. The Green Mile by Stephen King~supernatural, prison, 1930s. *

58. The Sacred Journey by Frederick Buechner~religious, memoir, childhood.

57. Wisconsin Gardens & Landscapes by Mary Lou Santovec~public gardens, Wisconsin.

56. Sarabeth's Bakery by Sarabeth Levine~cookbook, baking, pastries.

55. Essential Pleasures edited by Robert Pinsky~poetry, compilation, audio CD included.

54. Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home by Jeni Britton Bauer~cookbook, ice cream

53. The Sea Gull by Anton Chekhov~Russian, play.

52. A few hundred pages of Hyperion and all of Farewell to Hyperion by Dan Simmons~science fiction, future worlds, pilgrim tales.

51. North by Northanger by Carrie Bebis~Jane Austen, mystery

50. The Essential Garden Design Workbook by Rosemary Alexander~non-fiction, gardening, landscape design.

49. The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt: a Novel in Pictures by Caroline Preston~fiction, '20s, NY, Paris, coming of age.

48. Q: a Novel by Evan Mandery~fiction, quirky, time travel.

47. The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi~memoir, Italy, criminal case, serial killer.

46. Food Chaining by Fracker~non-fiction, food issues, picky eaters.

45. The Long Retreat by Andrew Krivak~memoir, Jesuit.

44. Exploring Garden Style by Tauton Press~non-fiction, gardening, design.

43. Homeschooling Children with ADD (and Other Special Needs) by Lenore Hayles~non-fiction, education, medical issues.

42. Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafrisi~non-fiction, memoir, Iran, literature.

41. Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris~fiction, France, WWII, food. *

40. Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller~memoir, stories, Christianity.

39. Just Take a Bite! by Lori Ernsberger~non-fiction, food issues, special needs.

38. Suspense and Sensibility by Carrie Bebris~Jane Austen, Mystery.

37. Pride and Prescience by Carrie Bebris~Jane Austen, Darcys, Mystery, supernatural.

36. Superfudge by Judy Blume~fiction, classic children's book.

35. The Explosive Child by Ross Greene~non-fiction, behavior, children

34. Cyteen 2: The Rebirth by CJ Cherryh~science fiction, cloning.

33. The Peace War by Vernor Vinge~science fiction, future, technology.

32. Whiskey Breakfast by Richard Lindberg~memoir, Swedish Immigration, Chicago.

31. Corvus: a Life with Birds by Esther Woolfson~non-fiction, birds.

30. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen~classic literature.

29. Cyteen: The Betrayal by CJ Cherryh~science fiction, future, space, cloning.

28. Divergent by Veronica Roth~youth fiction, dystopian.

27. The Help by Kathryn Stockett~fiction, '60s, race relations.

26. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs~youth, fiction.

25. Below Stairs: the Classic Kitchen Maid Memoir by Margaret Powell~non-fiction, memoir.

24. Ender in Exile by Orson Scott Card~fiction.

23. Uncle Tungsten: Memories of a Chemical Boyhood by Oliver Sacks~non-fiction, memoir.

22. The Garden Book of Wisconsin by Melinda Myers~non-fiction, gardening, flowers and landscaping.

21. Putting Down Roots: Gardening Insights from Wisconsin's Early Settlers by Marcia Carmichael~non-fiction, history, gardening.

20. Gudrun's Kitchen: Recipes from a Norwegian Family by Irene and Edward Sandvold~cookbook, biography.

19. Twelve Owls by Laura Erickson~non-fiction, birds.

18. A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell~fiction, WWII **

17. A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge~science fiction, space

16. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card~classic science fiction, read aloud.

15. Flour by Joanne Chung~cookbook, baking

14. Home to Woefield by Susan Juby~light fiction, humorous

13. Making the Most of Shade by Larry Hodgson~non-fiction/gardening

12. Growing Perennials in Cold Climates by Mike Heger~non-fiction/gardening

11. Case Histories by Kate Atkinson~mystery

10. Letters from Yellowstone by Diane Smith~historical fiction

9. The Circus in Winter by Cathy Day~fiction

8. The Alphabet in the Park by Adelia Prado~poetry

7. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman~non-fiction/medical

6. One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus~speculative fiction

5. The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Hidden Gallery by Maryrose Woods~juvenile

4. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Jester~(read aloud) juvenile

3. The Alienist by Caleb Carr~Mystery

2. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton~Fiction

1. The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt~Fiction

Working on:

Blood Meridian (McCarthy)

Temple of the Golden Pavilion (Mishima)

Moby Dick (Melville)

Cutting for Stone

Sundiver (Brin)

Just finished a fantastic book, Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto. Simply wonderful. It was translated from Japanese but the story lost nothing in translation. The book was two short stories combined and didn't take long to read. Maybe an hour or two? There's a lot of death and sadness but it still ended up being an optimistic book.

In progress:

Supermarket by Satoshi Azuchi (for book club)

Crocodiles on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters

Calico Bush by Rachel Field (read aloud)

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome (audiobook)

2012 finished books:

83. Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto (*****)

82. Stein on Writing by Sol Stein (****)

81. Order from Chaos by Liz Davenport (**)

80. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (****)

79. 4:50 From Paddington by Agatha Christie (***)

78. Hark! A Vagrant by Kate Beaton (****)

77. 84, Charing Cross by Helene Hanff (****)

76. The Unknown Ajax by Georgette Heyer (****)

75. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore (***)

74. An Unsuitable Job for a Woman by PD James (***)

73. Behind the Bedroom Wall by Laura Williams (***)

72. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (****)

71. The Fellowship of the Ring by JRR Tolkien (****)

70. The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien (**)

69. The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald (****)

68. The School Story by Andrew Clement - read aloud (****)

67. The Great Brain by John D. Fitzgerald (*)

66. Free-Range Kids by Lenore Skenazy (***)

65. Red Sails to Capri by Ann Weil -read aloud (***)

64. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglass Adams (*****)

63. Death of a Cad by MC Beaton (**)

62. Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (***)

61. The Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs (***)

60. A Pocket Full of Rye by Agatha Christie (***)

59. The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence) by Agatha Christie (****)

58. Tales of Robin Hood by Tony Allan - read aloud (****)

57. Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace (*****)

56. The Beekeepers Apprentice by Laurie R. King (****)

55. Death of a Gossip by MC Beaton (***)

54. The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett (**)

53. On Writing by Stephen King (*****)

52. Maus by Art Spiegelman (****)

51. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (***)

50. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins (****)

49. The Night Bookmobile by Audrey Niffinegger (*)

48. Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson (***)

47. Casino Royale - James Bond by Ian Fleming (**)

46. A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson - Audiobook (***)

45. The Lucky Shopping Manual by Kim Lenitt (*****)

44. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (****)

43. Half Moon Investigations by Eoin Colfer - Audiobook (****)

42. Half Magic by Edward Eager (***)

41. Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Wrede - Read Aloud (****)

Books 1 - 40

Amy's Rating System:

***** - Fantastic, couldn't put it down

**** - Very good

*** - Enjoyable but nothing special

** - Not recommended

* - Horrible

Calling all hands: Okay my lovelies. My mom is heading into surgery today and we need all prayers, good vibes and whatnot thrown out into the universe for success and she will finally be out of the immense pain she's been suffering. I'm heading out today to AZ for a few days. Have prewritten and scheduled 52 books post. I may be a little early or late putting up Sunday's thread. We'll see

:grouphug:

Taking with me Christine Feehan's latest Ghostwalker novel Samurai Game and Andrew Gross's 15 Seconds.

Calling all hands: Okay my lovelies. My mom is heading into surgery today and we need all prayers, good vibes and whatnot thrown out into the universe for success and she will finally be out of the immense pain she's been suffering. I'm heading out today to AZ for a few days. Have prewritten and scheduled 52 books post. I may be a little early or late putting up Sunday's thread. We'll see

:grouphug:

Taking with me Christine Feehan's latest Ghostwalker novel Samurai Game and Andrew Gross's 15 Seconds.

Praying for your mom. :grouphug:

So I've finally gotten back on the wagon, so to speak, and have been keeping up with a book a week for the last 3 weeks or so... I actually finished two this week. :) So I am still behind (like, on book 11...lame, I know! :/ ) but oh, well!

So far I've read:

1. Radical together (meh)

2. Battle Hymn of the tiger Mother (hysterical)

3. The Body Project (excellent)

4. Grace Based Parenting (hated it)

5, 6, 7. Hunger Games trilogy (really liked them,honestly. Great literary works? No. But entertaining? Yes. I plan on buying them for myself)

8. Illusion - by Frank Peretti (disappointing)

9. Six Ways to Keep the 'Good' in Your Boy (loved it!)

10. Discerning Truth (pretty good)

11. Six Ways to Keep the 'Little' in Your Girl (loved it!)

I've reviewed them all on my blog, just did #11 today. :)

I finished The Secret Piano last night. It was interesting and kind of philosophical as much as it was narrative.

I'm listening to People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks right now and almost done. I have had a couple of moments of jaw-dropping amazement at the story and her writing. Wow.

Robin, thinking of you and your mom. :grouphug:

I finished Surprised by Oxford by Carolyn Weber. I absolutely loved it. I devoured it in two days. Phenomenal. Definitely my top read of the year so far.

2012 Books Reviews

1. Lit! by Tony Reinke

2. Loving the Little Years by Rachel Jankovic

3. Words to Eat By by Ina Lipkowitz

4. How to Tutor Your Own Child by Marina Koestler Ruben

5. Evening in the Palace of Reason by James R Gaines (spectacular)

6. The Cat of Bubastes by GA Henty (Audio from Librivox)

7. The Last Battle by C S Lewis (Audiobook)

8. A Praying Life by Paul E Miller

9. Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students by Christine Fonesca

10. Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers by Ralph Moody (fantastic read aloud)

11. The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare

12. The Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis

13. How to Write a Sentence by Stanley Fish

14. The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

15. The Rich Are Different by Susan Howatch

16. The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer

17. Sylvester by Georgette Heyer

18. Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher (great read aloud)

19. Sins of the Fathers by Susan Howatch (wow!)

20. Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls (very good)

21. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (favorite)

22. The Toll Gate by Georgette Heyer

23. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (audio book)

24. The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (audio book)

25. Penmarric by Susan Howatch

26. Cashelmara by Susan Howatch

27. The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer

28. Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings

29. Queen of Sorcery by David Eddings

30. Magician's Gambit by David Eddings

31. Castle of Wizadry by David Eddings

32. Enchanter's End Game by David Eddings

33. Persuasion by Jane Austen

34. Surprised by Oxford by Carolyn Weber (phenomenal)

Edited by ladydusk