Menu

BJU Reading and English/Writing/Grammar Reviews plz

Slipper

I'm looking at BJU Reading for 3rd and 5th grades and the English/Writing/Grammar for 2nd and 5th.

Can someone explain some pros and cons? How much time should it take daily for good readers? How hands on is it from teacher perspective? I don't mind Christian content but would get uncomfortable if it was too heavy and prevalent.

I love the reading and can tell you a lot more, but the Christian content is throughout. It's in a lot of the discussion questions, too. If you don't want it to be too prevalent, I think you'll be frustrated with BJU Reading.

I've used some of the elementary English as well, and I think you'll find much less of the Christian content in the English. The chapters alternate between grammar and writing. I love their grammar and the layout of their pages. I have decided to use IEW with my son, and I hate not to use BJU, but it seems a waste to buy a book for only half of it. The writing sections are really great if you don't mind writing instruction being based on the current writing models. The CD is great, too, because it has lots of extra practice pages.

I think the English grammar lessons took about 20 minutes. The writing lessons would take a little longer.

I love and have used BJU reading the last few years. The workbooks that come with the readers provide comprehension questions, review phonics, creative writing, and other such things. I have had experience with grades 1-4, but have already purchased grade 5, and it looks great!

On the other hand, I can not stand BJU English. Just my opinion. :D I feel it jumps around a lot.( just like their math, now that I think of it. )