Menu

Have you used Lightning Lit 8?

If so, can you give me a basic idea of how it looked on a weekly basis? How often did you sit down and go over comprehension questions? Did you review the student text with your student to make sure he/she was comprehending the themes being taught? How often did your student do a writing assignment, and how long did you spend on them (did you have them write multiple drafts?)?

Thanks!

Not yet, but do you know this schedule:

http://corefoundations.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/lightning-lit-8-schedule.pdf

I plan to follow that (for other readers they have also a LL7 schedule)

HTH

By the way... how is this different from what the LL book would recommend for a schedule? Or is it the same, just written out in an accessible format?

We've used it once and are using it again next year. I meet with my kids once/week to go over review questions and for them to turn in writing assignments.

I don't think the schedule posted is any different at all than what LL suggests, but they give a weekly not a daily schedule.

Units vary in length depending on the length of the reading, then there is always a week at the end for workbook pages and writing assignment. My kids usually just turned in a final draft of their papers, but if it isn't up to my standards, they re-write.

The suggested schedule from Lightning Lit is here. My son used Lightning Literature this year, but we didn't follow either of the schedules. My girls will use it next year and do the same thing.

My son is the type who needs to read a book all the way through before he's ready to discuss it, and answering all the comprehension questions along the way would have ruined the books for him. He read ahead (and read through the lesson and mini-lesson), then I'd meet with him to discuss the comprehension questions, vocabulary, lesson and mini-lesson. This sometimes took a couple hours. Then, I'd assign the workbook pages I wanted him to do (we didn't do the crosswords and things like that), 1-2 writing assignments and his reading for the next chapter. I gave 2-3 weeks for these, corrected them and discussed them before we moved on to the next chapter.

Ds is just finishing it now. I made up my own daily schedule for ds because he could read pretty fast, but needed extra time for the worksheets and writing assignments. Basically we would go over the introduction to the chapter and he would start reading. We would do the comprehension questions twice a week. Then we would read and discuss the lesson for a day. The next day he would begin the worksheets, doing 2 or 3 pages per day until they were finished. Then he would spend a few days to a week on the writing assignment. We didn't do every writing assignment because he was also working through Jump In this year, but he completed most of them.