Menu

WTM History

My kids are not old enough for high school yet, but we have 3 years before DS would be. So I'm trying to make my solid plan beforehand. We have been using SOTW for history and will finish when he is in 7th grade. I would like to continue the WTM idea of history all the way thru as it is working so well for us. But how do you apply their history cycle to the state requirements. I'm in KY and we need one year of world history, one year of American history, and I believe a year of American government and economics. That doesn't match up with the WTM cycle. How do you adjust it or count it to make it match? Thanks in advance!

I would adjust it to fit my curriculum. A "unit", or 1-year course, is equivalent to 6,480 minutes per year. If you spread American history over two years, or more, just count it as 1 year of American history. I have never covered just American history. I always study other areas concurrently.

Others can chime in if I'm wrong here.

This isn't a BTDT answer, but WTM speaks to your American Government question on p.502 (the 2nd edition); and it shows how to put your Great Books program on a traditional transcript on pp. 654-5. (in a nutshell, 9th and 10th grades are "World Lit" and World Hist" 1 and 2, 11th is "Victorian Lit" and "American History", 12th is "Modern Lit" and "American Government".)

hth,

Rhonda