Menu

AL Abacus worksheets really helpful/necessary?

mathnmusic

I have the AL Abacus from RightStart and the book "Activities for the AL Abacus", and noticed that the lessons in this book recommend that students complete specific corresponding pages in the worksheets book (sold separately for $25), which I do not have. Can anyone with experience with this program tell me if the worksheets are worth the expense, or can you get the full learning experience from doing the the exercises in the "Activities for AL Abacus" book?

Thank you in advance!

If you are using this as your entire program, then I would say you need the worksheets. Without them there would be no practice/reinforcement. If it's a supplement to another program that has sufficient practice, then you wouldn't need the worksheets, IMO.

Thank you for your reply, Katie! That's very helpful, I'll plan on ordering the worksheets then.

Anyone know if the worksheets are legal to photocopy or not? And if it's ok to do so, is it a major pain (lots of pages) to photocopy? I have 2 kids and if photocopying the worksheets is allowed, was thinking of just ordering one set of worksheets for 2 kids to save our pennies.

Thanks again in advance!

We use this program. I bought the book from the RS web site for half the price during their end of the year sale. The book has 270 pages of work sheet pages (the pages aren't numbered). There are a few pages for each activity so I have only been copying ones here and there so it's not redundant. We use this with SM and Miquon. The beinning sections on ten are very easy. The Activities book has little pictures in it of the ones in the workbook so you could get by without it. If it's your only math program then buy the book when it's on sale - $25 is a lot. If it's not your only math then just use the example in the Activities book as a guide.

We have the worksheets, and I just slip a page protector over the the page we're working on and have my daughter do them with a grease pencil or dry erase marker. That way her younger brothers can use them in turn without me spending a ton of time and money at the copier. The copyright does allow copying for family use.