Menu

Biblioplan and literature

Quiver0f10

Biblioplan doesn't include any literature guides in Year 1, it's just scheduled reading. From what I can tell, they are recommending certain guides for a few books in Year 2. Maybe someone else can speak to years 3 and 4.

I used MFW's Ancient Lit supplement so that I would have some essay and writing instruction for the year along with vocabulary and literature guides for a couple of the lit selections. I went through Teaching the Classics at the beginning of this past school year and did a 6 week syllabus with my high schooler. It covered the basics and has lists of Socratic questions that would apply to any book. I feel like it was a good review for us both. She had already attended a class with a retired English teacher which taught her quite a bit.

Biblioplan doesn't include any literature guides in Year 1, it's just scheduled reading. From what I can tell, they are recommending certain guides for a few books in Year 2. Maybe someone else can speak to years 3 and 4.

I used MFW's Ancient Lit supplement so that I would have some essay and writing instruction for the year along with vocabulary and literature guides for a couple of the lit selections. I went through Teaching the Classics at the beginning of this past school year and did a 6 week syllabus with my high schooler. It covered the basics and has lists of Socratic questions that would apply to any book. I feel like it was a good review for us both. She had already attended a class with a retired English teacher which taught her quite a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Teaching-Classics-James-Morwood/dp/0521527635/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1341003536&sr=1-4&keywords=teaching+the+classics is this the book you mean?

I think she used this:

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/tcs

Teaching the Classics by Adam Andrews give you an overview of how to analize literature.

Another one is Windows to the World:

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/wtw-t

This one is more hands on work. It has you actually read the literature and then teaches the student how to write about it.

Does BP include any lit analysis? If not, did you add a program to it and if so what did you use?

Thank you!

No, Year 1 doesn't anyhow. It is just a reading list.

I use TWTM & SWB's Literary Analysis audio lecture methods with it. All the practical instructions are there, including questions to ask about the various genres. In TWTM (I think in the Logic Stage section) she advises against using only historical fiction for literature. She even gives a ratio but I don't remember it exactly (ex. for every work of historical fiction, read 3-4 works of imaginative literature). I do follow that, so I don't use BP's list in whole.

I also use CHOLL (Classical House of Learning Literature) on books that are listed in both CHOLL and BP. It's nice having a pre-written guide that offers vocabulary, story charts, and other literature extras.

From my experience with BP this year, I now know I want to have a guide(s) for a certain number of books throughout the year for teaching beginning lit. analysis and devices. Whether this ends up being a refined plan for following SWB's model, TTC, or a hodge-podge of guides, we'll see.