Menu

Have you designed your own dissection project?

So the lab kit I'm looking at apparently does not include dissections, which is fine. I would like to have ds try one or two for the experience, and I could probably get fresh samples (cow/goat/sheep eye, heart or brain). Is this a doable thing? Is there a lesson online that would walk us through such a lab?

The National Anti-Vivisection Society has lifelike bullfrog, fetal pig, cat, rat, shark, earthworm and other models available on a free loan basis. Call 1-800-888-NAVS (6287).

The NAVS also has a large selection of computer CDs and software (for Mac and IBM) available on a free loan basis. Some of the selections include: frogs, starfish, invertebrae animals, shark, fetal pig, fruit fly genetic matching and many others. Call 1-800-888-NAVS (6287).

More info at:

http://www.janewrdh.com/students/college.htm

Thanks, Stripe, now that I think about it we could also do fish and any number of sealife -- squid, crab, etc.

The National Anti-Vivisection Society has lifelike bullfrog, fetal pig, cat, rat, shark, earthworm and other models available on a free loan basis.
Thanks for the suggestion. I am going to assume they would not be interested in shipping/lending it halfway across the world, lol.

We used froguts for our dissections this past year. They are far more detailed than anything you will find if you are physically dissecting.

For physical dissections (each of my kids has done a worm and a frog) we followed the instructions in the lab manual for the science we were using at the time. However, we got our specimens from Home Science Tools and they have dissection kits that include a dissection manual. I don't know how good the manuals are though.

We did an earthworm. a clam, a giant squid, and a dogshark. Our specimens were from Home Science Tools, but fresh is easy to obtain locally for primarily marine science. We have the How to Dissect book and it is usually dirt-cheap used on Amazon. You don't need a pristine copy this time, trust me.:D However, you really don't need the book unless you are doing something a little more obscure. There are full-color, in-depth labs on the Internet that walk the student through everything and that often have questions and diagrams to go with them. They are a great resource, but imo, they are not a replacement for doing the lab.

This is the squid dissection that we used and it is very straight-forward.

Cow's eye dissection - have not used this one, but again, after looking at, it's easily doable

Edited by swimmermom3

BTW Kate if you can pick up the book Blood and Guts by Linda Allison (Brown Paper School Book, ISBN 0316034436), it has some dissections and simulations in it for a lot of animal organs as part of understanding the human body. It's not free, but if you could find a copy (it's still in print), it might give you a more comprehensive set of ideas, in terms of each of the major organs or systems, if you don't find something else. The assumption in the book as far as I can tell, is that one is using regular old organs from the butcher, not special samples.

Did you see this thread? There's a show with a camel dissection.[/url]
I'm totally going to make a note of that. When dd gets to camels (rising 2nd grader, this year she'll be doing animal studies the WTM way for science), I wanted to arrange for a "Care and Keeping of Camels" session with local friends who have camel farms. This would be a good tie-in for older kids (and maybe for her too).