Menu

Computer techies help!!!!

I've gotten great help in the past and have saved my computer (and $$$!) because of you smart ladies. :) I need help again, please. Unfortunately, my dad was here and we were visiting, so my attention was divided and I was not able to look at it or start working on it until later. I probably also missed some details that would probably be helpful. I hope you can help me figure something out.

Here's the situation... I accessed a web page today and immediately got a message that AVG detected a threat (don't remember what it said, but I think I saw something about malware and the word "black" in it, removed it to vault and then started my AVG whole computer scan. In the middle of the scan, it quit scanning (but had already detected three problems... a trojan maybe (didn't see the name) and two other things) and a box popped up that said something about the "hard disk failure" and then several other small boxes continuously popped up that said something about the hard disk or hard drive and something about the "white box" or "write box", again, not really sure. (I don't know if that makes sense) I also noticed that most of my desktop icons were gone and my screen saver of pictures did not launch saying there were no pictures in C:. After a few minutes, the blue crash screen comes up. This screen has come up several times before over the last couple of years, but I just restart it and it's fine. I turned it off, waited a bit, turned it back on and went into safe mode with networking. I only have three icons-- computer, network, and recycle bin. When I open "Start", I'm missing all the default programs that are visible when you open that box and also missing many programs, too, when I click on "All Programs". I do not have IE, Windows Explorer, Control Panel, etc. to be able to open the internet or anything else that might be helpful. My AVG was limited on the files, but I finally was able to run it through the AVG Tray Icon. Most all of the files scanned said "Program locked. Scan not done" or something like that. Windows/Installer and Temp were two that said "virus detected. moved to vault" or something like that. I couldn't tell, but even though the scan went on for awhile, it seemed to stop abruptly again and then took me back to the beginning screen where you start the scan. I never received a box that said the scan was complete.

I know that is a lot of information and maybe not very clear, but hopefully someone can guide me to solve it or tell me what to do next. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for anything!

I figured out a way to get on the internet and I'm on, even though I don't have the IE icon or program listed. I downloaded malwarebytes and am running it now. Anybody can chime in anytime or I can have a conversation all by myself! :lol:

Also, the only drives it shows I have when I open my "Computer" icon is the C drive and F drive. Usually, I see the others.

Edited by Dianne-TX

My techie husband said if you were going to deal with this yourself and you were getting repeated blue screens- save your data and reinstall windows. Malware Bytes is great- hopefully that will get it out, but it wount, necessarily "undo" what the virus(es) did. Seriously, you will spend more time trying to fix it than reinstalling windows. Needs to be done periodically anyway.

Thanks to both of you! If I reinstall Windows, do I lose everything?

As Malwarebytes scanned, I saw all my pictures going through and getting scanned, so I have not lost those and I'm guessing I've not lost other stuff, too. I'm guessing it's hidden, not failed. I've been looking up stuff for hours. Thanks for recommending bleeping computer. I saw that one come up a lot, but have not gone to it yet.

If you reinstall Windows, you will loose anything on the hard drive, but only if you have not backed it up.

I firmly believed that is one reason why husband was put on this earth- to shout from the rooftops the importance of successfully backing up your data- regularly, efficiently, safely, and storing it in a proper location. Now, I know Windows is a pain in the butt to reinstall, but it really is a good maintenance practice to do at least 1/2x a year- I think that is what he says. If your computer starts running wonky, slowly, or you shut down improperly a few times- Windows can get corrupt (even without a virus) and a reinstall is in order. I take it this is not something you have done previously? Of course, catching a virus is the perfect opportunity to do this.

Just back up your data -onto CDs/DVDs, flash drives, online services such as Carbonite, an external hard drive (or 2!) and learn how to reinstall Windows. It's a lot of progress bars (2%...15%...35%...68%...99%...done!), and clicking Next a million times. But it takes about 3 hours altogether to format (delete everything) the hard drive, reinstall Windows, and install all the software and drivers you used before. It will delete all your icons, saved passwords, favorites/bookmarks... but you can back all of this up so it's not a big deal to get up and running.

If you do take it somewhere to be done, don't let them charge you an arm and a leg for a virus clean up. Just tell them to reinstall Windows and set it back up for you.

I've been backing it up often, so I hope the external hard drive I've been using to back up has everything on there. I can't see that everything's been backed up, it just has a file from the last date I backed up. I have to restore it to see what it is. I hope it worked. I've backed up for a couple of years now, but again, never been able to double check to see what or if it actually worked. Here's hoping...

One more question...when I scan, I see some things that I cannot see on the desktop or in the Start menu. For example, my screen saver does not run the pictures I installed, but when I ran my AVG, I saw those individually come up. So, I'm wondering if my files are still there, but I just can't see them? If I do a back up and those files are actually there, even though I can't see them, will they successfully back up?

I have heard my husband mention viruses that will hide files/folders. Maybe that is what is happening. He said it is a pain in the butt to fix this. You can go into My Documents- each folder- (select) tools- folder options- advanced- show hidden files and folders.

Was your hard drive connected to the computer when it freaked out? DH said your back- ups may be zipped/compressed into that 1 file for the date it was backed- up. You probably have some proprietary software that came with the hard drive to back up that does it that way, right? We use something called syncback. We can get into the hard drive and see the actually file. If the main drive dies, DH just redirects it to the external drive and we are up and running again. No restoring.

Do your back-ups save "over" previous back- ups or can you see a folder for each day that you backed up? If you have all "versions/dates" of back- ups you have done, then- if you back up now and those files are missing that you can't see now- then you just restore a previous date/back up. make sense?

Thanks! Yes, I have a date for each back up. It was not connected when everything happened. I plug it in each time I back up. I hope the files are hidden because I did not back up my most recent work which took me days to do. I did school schedules and lots of other documents for our homeschool. I really do not want to redo it, but that is that if I have to. I hope they are just hidden. I'll update later. Thanks so much for your help.

In a worst case scenario, backup what data you can and run combofix.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

This is what I use. However, if you have a rootkit it may reinfect your machine. I still recommend that you reinstall windows. If you have more than one virus you likely have a rootkit. I had this problem in the past before I moved to linux. The rootkit's job was to constantly load viruses onto my computer. I had one virus after another. Quickest solution was to use combofix(when you save combofix file on your machine you need to rename the file cause some rootkits will detect the name combofix and render the file useless before you even open the file) and then quickly get your important stuff off of the machine and reinstall windows.

Or...you could install linux if you are feeling adventurous. :D

Penny

Some success! I found the hidden folders and files and I'm working on unhiding them now. After I do that, I backup or save to flash drive and then do I reinstall windows and restore from my backup and flashdrive?
Just be careful that you don't backup the virus along with your important stuff or you will just be reinfecting your machine when you restore the files. That is why I run combofix before I backup files.

Penny

Gotcha. My backup failed earlier which is why I'm using flash drives to save everything. Is my external hard drive ruined or just the attempted backups from today? I'll check out combofix. Thanks! ETA: by everything I mean newer documents, pictures, videos and favorites that weren't on the previous backup. Do I also need to save all my programs to reinstall, too, or will my previous backups take care if that?

Edited by Dianne-TX

Oh gosh- if you are using a back up from today- you will have backed up the virus. If you can safely save your newest documents into your flash drives, use an older version of backups to restore your system (older as in before you got your virus). Just don't click on anything with a .exe extension that you don't know what it is.

My understanding is if you reinstall Windows, you will have to manually reinstall all of your software you use. I don't think backups do that (they will save the install files if it was something you downloaded IF YOU saved it to your had drive)- unless you are making "ghost images" of your machine- and then you are getting into my husband's territory.

Getting ready to do Combofix... I've been thinking all day, would I not have this problem if I had a Mac???? I have friends with Mac's and they never have problems! One friend has had her Mac laptop for 8 years, no trouble, only running out of memory space now. I'm thinking of going Mac sometime in the future... I'm out of brain energy to fix these virus issues!

If you need a new computer then you certainly would have less trouble with a mac. If your computer is not old(hardware is still good) I would say try Ubuntu Linux http://www.ubuntu.com or maybe Linux Mint. http://Www.linuxmint.com Both are free and there are so many more linux distributions to choose from that I could not possibly name them all. I started out with Ubuntu and have been using Debian Linux for several years now and have no trouble at all with viruses. Mac operating system was made from linux and either one is safer than windows imho. Obviously, a mac is more expensive as linux if free and there is a learning curve...I love using linux. You can download and burn a live cd and try it out without having to install it. Or...buy a mac.:001_smile:

Windows viruses are made executable just like windows programs.(.exe) Linux and macs do not run exe files which is why these viruses don't infect those users. I am not a fan of windows after having spent lots of money on antivirus software and still getting viruses.

When you reinstall windows(if you choose to use windows) have your disks for any software you need available.(like microsoft word and such) It is better to have a clean system that to use a backup that may be infected.

Hth,

Penny

Edited by mystika1

If you need a new computer then you certainly would have less trouble with a mac. If your computer is not old(hardware is still good) I would say try Ubuntu Linux www.ubuntu.com or maybe Linux Mint. Www.linuxmint.com Both are free and there are so many more linux distributions to choose from that I could not possibly name them all. I started out with Ubuntu and have been using Debian Linux for several years now and have no trouble at all with viruses. Mac operating system was made from linux and either one is safer than windows imho. Obviously, a mac is more expensive as linux if free and there is a learning curve...I love using linux. You can download and burn a live cd and try it out without having to install it. Or...buy a mac.:001_smile:

Windows viruses are made executable just like windows programs.(.exe) Linux and macs do not run exe files which is why these viruses don't infect those users. I am not a fan of windows after having spent lots of money on antivirus software and still getting viruses.

When you reinstall windows(if you choose to use windows) have your disks for any software you need available.(like microsoft word and such) It is better to have a clean system that to use a backup that may be infected.

Hth,

Penny

Good information, thanks!

BTW, I ran combofix last night, have my log and now have absolutely no idea what to do next. :) What did you do next when you used it? I don't notice anything different. When it restarted, everything was the same as when the virus hit, except that I have a couple of desktop icons restored. How do I know it worked? Do I now run my AVG again? How do I begin reinstalling Windows? Do I need to post my log on the Bleeping Computer forum? Help, please. :)

Good information, thanks!

BTW, I ran combofix last night, have my log and now have absolutely no idea what to do next. :) What did you do next when you used it? I don't notice anything different. When it restarted, everything was the same as when the virus hit, except that I have a couple of desktop icons restored. How do I know it worked? Do I now run my AVG again? How do I begin reinstalling Windows? Do I need to post my log on the Bleeping Computer forum? Help, please. :)

Sorry, I do have my programs (I'm guessing most of them, if not all) back in the Start box, so I guess it did work. It still doesn't look the same as before, though. Also, do I keep combofix on my computer or should I uninstall it now?

Sorry, I do have my programs (I'm guessing most of them, if not all) back in the Start box, so I guess it did work. It still doesn't look the same as before, though. Also, do I keep combofix on my computer or should I uninstall it now?

Combofix only removes the infection so it will not restore your computer. Now that the virus is gone you can put important documents or pics on a flash drive. When you reinstall windows it will totally wipe your machine and you will start fresh. Now some pc makers send you a restore cd or you have a restoration file that will restore your computer to the state it was in when you purchased it. Otherwise you can use your windows cd.

Penny

Combofix only removes the infection so it will not restore your computer. Now that the virus is gone you can put important documents or pics on a flash drive. When you reinstall windows it will totally wipe your machine and you will start fresh. Now some pc makers send you a restore cd or you have a restoration file that will restore your computer to the state it was in when you purchased it. Otherwise you can use your windows cd.

Penny

Gotcha. I did the flash drives yesterday, but I also have my external hard drive that backed up everything in April, so I only saved the most recent files, pictures, videos, etc... I'm so paranoid that the back up drive isn't going to work and then I'll have lost everything. I didn't have enough flash drives to save everything, just the most recent, so I'm hoping the back up drive worked. I've never been able to see files on it, just an icon that shows the complete back up, so I'll only know when I restore if my files are there. I wonder if could put everything in one of those online file saves like Drop Box or the other I hear advertised on talk radio, Carbonite or something like that. What do you think?

Hi,

I normally keep all of my important stuff like curriculum on a flash drive so I have not needed to back up my entire machine in a long time but..if I remember corectly when you ran your backup utility it should have given you a message saying something like backup successful or backup complete.(which should indicate that all went well with the back up. )Something like dropbox is a nice way to keep your files safe and easily accessable. I know your pain. I remember my nerves being shot hoping my files would all be intact after dealing with viruses. It is sad that people create viruses to spread problems. I hope you don't lose anything important in this.

Penny