Menu

? re: GWG and WWW

sbgrace

Can I jump into these in 3rd grade? If my kids have very little grammar instruction so far do I need to go to GWG 2 first or can I begin with GWG 3?

I have similar questions about WWW though we've done some writing instruction with our current program.

Edited by sbgrace

I have not used GWG.

WWW we jumped into in 4th grade for my DS in the middle of the year last year, having previously used WWE. It required no prior information really. Anything needed was defined and explained in the text for the lesson, very clear, very methodical. IMHO it would be very dull for a passionate and creative writer, and was perfect for my reluctant writer.

I have not used GWG.

WWW we jumped into in 4th grade for my DS in the middle of the year last year, having previously used WWE. It required no prior information really. Anything needed was defined and explained in the text for the lesson, very clear, very methodical. IMHO it would be very dull for a passionate and creative writer, and was perfect for my reluctant writer.

:iagree: We are going to use GWG 4 this next year after EG3. I would think the level 3 should be explained well enough to start at grade level. It just may not be as independently used as someone who has had previous instruction. We used WWW2 this year and I agree it might not suit a creative, motivated writer but fits my reluctant writer perfectly...

I used GWG3 with my ds8 this past school year even though he had no prior formal grammar instruction and it worked wonderfully. The GWG3 student manual does not assume any prior knowledge and reviews even the most basic concepts, such as what constitutes a sentence and proper ending punctuation. Each lesson is short and straightforward with plenty of examples. The lessons build nicely on one another so by the end of the year we had covered a lot of new grammatical concepts but it never felt overwhelming.

Having used both, I would start at GWG3 and WWE 2, unless your child is a STRONG reader and writer. You can always demand a little more or move a little faster through 2. Your child will not feel talked down to. If GWG3 is "easy", it just means the child can do it more independently and quickly.

We used different paper than the what is in the book, as kiddo has always used thinner lines than age. This also makes it very sellable.