Menu

For those that have used Maps & Geography

kandty

I have a question about The Big Book of Maps & Geography. It says grades 3-6, so is this book is intended to use more than one year? We will be putting off the US Geography sections until next year. But, I am looking at the Introduction to Maps and Map Skills and there is several pages on each topic (for example: floor plans, map keys, map routes, etc.). Is it intended to do them all at once or do a few each year? I know I can do it which way I want to, but I wanted to see how everyone else is using it.

We used most of it in one year. We had skipped the US portion b/c I figured DS was too young for it, but it turns out that he taught himself all of the states anyway (thanks Scrambled States of America! LOL). So, we will be doing the US portion this coming year (starting in July). I wish it did stretch over a couple of years though...he really loves the book!! I am on the hunt to find another one that's similar and hopefully just as meaty :P

Are you referring to The Complete Book of Maps & Geography? If so, we used that, and, yes, we spread it out over several years, doing the easier concepts/pages the first year, the harder concepts/pages the following year, and finishing with the specific US pages the year we were studying US History.

JMO: I think the ideal age to use the book for the US Geography pages was grades 4/5, and most of the rest of the pages are best geared for grades 5/6. Grade 3 seems a bit young for many of the pages. Again, JMO! BEST of luck, however you decide to use it! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Are you referring to The Complete Book of Maps & Geography? If so, we used that, and, yes, we spread it out over several years, doing the easier concepts/pages the first year, the harder concepts/pages the following year, and finishing with the specific US pages the year we were studying US History.

JMO: I think the ideal age to use the book for the US Geography pages was grades 4/5, and most of the rest of the pages are best geared for grades 5/6. Grade 3 seems a bit young for many of the pages. Again, JMO! BEST of luck, however you decide to use it! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I have the new edition. Agreeing with the bolded above! I really just needed some others to agree with me before I make my final plans. I will be using this with my third grader and 6th grader. I will have to make separate plans for each to make it fit for both of them. I guess it will last three years for the youngest, but my oldest will completely most of it this year.

Thanks everyone!

Can you describe the content inside the book? Color v. black and white, length of assignments, types of assignments, etc. I hate it when I can't look inside books on Amazon.

The book is in color. There are 6 sections: Intro to map and map skills, US geography, US regions, N. and S. America, grid maps, global geography. It is pretty typical workbook with mostly fill in the blank work. There is a couple cut/paste projects. Each "lesson" is 1-2 pages long. There is several pages for each topic. They start easy and get harder for each topic in the sections. Haven't used it yet, but really looking through it to get ready to use it.