Menu

Why would my baby....

Why would our baby start crawling with her forehead on the ground? She is 12½ months, just started standing and can cruise one direction and a little the other way, so a little behind but not massively. She gets physical therapy but this is a new behavior this week and I forgot to ask the therapist Wednesday morning.

Should we be concerned? Would you call the therapist?

She does do some sensory seeking (and avoiding) type things so maybe it is just a phase along that line? or?

Any ideas?

I would think it would be sensory seeking. You may want to watch and observe it for a bit - does she do this at certain times of day (right before bedtime? after a bath?). Does she do it to smooth surfaces (walls) or carpets? Does it have to hit a certain spot or can it be any spot on her head?

The more info the better when you talk to someone. :)

It definitely couldn't hurt to put a call in to the therapist, who might have to see it to know for sure (or as sure as you can get of a 12 mo old's motivations). My best guess is it's a sensory-seeking thing, but it could be at the head is just getting heavy and you need to do something to help build those neck muscles. Either way, it doesn't sound like anything serious, but definitely something the PT would want to know about/could work on.