Menu

Science for 9th grade, any thoughts/

Hello good folks, who have helped me so much in the past. I have another set of questions. Perhaps you can help me :-)

We have been using the Apologia elementary science books (Exploring Creation with Astronomy, Land Animals, etc.) for the past couple of years. Although my dd is in 8th grade, the reading level has been great for her dyslexia. Not too hard, not too babyish, interesting, just right. She has very much enjoyed the books. She is not necessarily "a science person" but she has enjoyed it thus far. She is mostly interested in nature and the practical hands-on type of material (which she has found in much of the Apologia curricula). My concern is that the 7th - 12th grade books move away from the "fun" stuff and onto much scientific terminology and the reading level becomes much harder and there doesn't seem to be much of the fun stuff :-(

I don't see her going to college (necessarily) and I don't see her majoring in Science or anything that requires a heavy science background -- she's artistic. I figure that she can always take things at the college level (community college) should she need to fill in the blanks, if her plans change for the future. I say that to say that I am not necessarily looking for heavy college-bound courses with science labs (unless they are fun!).

But I do want to expose to the basic sciences and infact, I'm required to.

So, with that said, I have looked at the Apologia following courses: General Science, Physical Science, Biology, and their elementary Anatomy and Physiology, as well as Biology 101, LIFEPAC (Alpha Omega) health. I need something that is not just lots of words and definitions (which is my concern about the upper levels of Apologia Science I've listed), most likely something with a video component (perhaps) at least an audio piece (so that she could listen to the book as it's being read.

My mission is for her to learn the basics of biology, chemistry, physics (perhaps), anatomy, physiology and health. While I'm sure I could make her read your classic science textbook, it would be meaningless dribble to her. I don't want that. I want something that will have applications and grab her interest. I know that's not always possible but isn't that the goal we reach for in home schooling? :-)

Are there things that have worked for you and your special child?

AGS Publishing has been recommended to me as an excellent high school science resource for dyslexics. NAYY..I've been told they have high school physical, biology, and chemistry written on a 4-8th grade reading level.

ETA: There appears to be a generous pre-view online option for the labs, TM, and student texts.

Edited by Heathermomster

Hello good folks, who have helped me so much in the past. I have another set of questions. Perhaps you can help me :-)

We have been using the Apologia elementary science books (Exploring Creation with Astronomy, Land Animals, etc.) for the past couple of years. Although my dd is in 8th grade, the reading level has been great for her dyslexia. Not too hard, not too babyish, interesting, just right. She has very much enjoyed the books. She is not necessarily "a science person" but she has enjoyed it thus far. She is mostly interested in nature and the practical hands-on type of material (which she has found in much of the Apologia curricula). My concern is that the 7th - 12th grade books move away from the "fun" stuff and onto much scientific terminology and the reading level becomes much harder and there doesn't seem to be much of the fun stuff :-(

I don't see her going to college (necessarily) and I don't see her majoring in Science or anything that requires a heavy science background -- she's artistic. I figure that she can always take things at the college level (community college) should she need to fill in the blanks, if her plans change for the future. I say that to say that I am not necessarily looking for heavy college-bound courses with science labs (unless they are fun!).

So, with that said, I have looked at the Apologia following courses: General Science, Physical Science, Biology, and their elementary Anatomy and Physiology, as well as Biology 101, LIFEPAC (Alpha Omega) health. I need something that is not just lots of words and definitions (which is my concern about the upper levels of Apologia Science I've listed), most likely something with a video component (perhaps) at least an audio piece (so that she could listen to the book as it's being read.

My mission is for her to learn the basics of biology, chemistry, physics (perhaps), anatomy, physiology and health. While I'm sure I could make her read your classic science textbook, it would be meaningless dribble to her. I don't want that. I want something that will have applications and grab her interest. I know that's not always possible but isn't that the goal we reach for in home schooling? :-)

nm/double post

Edited by Geo

:iagree:

about Oak Meadow. We are using it this year, but neither are highschool yet. I am already looking for alternatives to standard

highschool science courses for my NLD son. If your daughter is artistic, she could express her understanding through that medium...like DaVinci did, by keeping a science journal and illustrating concepts.

There are also coloring books available for botany, anatomy, biology, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Biology-Coloring-Book-Robert-Griffin/dp/0064603075/ref=pd_sim_b_3

I found this on Pinterest:

http://pinterest.com/curriculumtools/secondary-science-productivity/

Please remember to share anything you find to be helpful!

Edited by Geo

AGS Publishing has been recommended to me as an excellent high school science resource for dyslexics. NAYY..I've been told they have high school physical, biology, and chemistry written on a 4-8th grade reading level.

ETA: There appears to be a generous pre-view online option for the labs, TM, and student texts.

Ds is not dyslexic, but the simpler visual format is necessary due to his visual/spatial and processing speed deficits.

I also really liked one text (General Science TM) which used students verbal explanations and applications of the concepts...like it was written for NLD students!

Thank you, thank you, thank you. :001_wub:

Edited by Geo

Thank you for the suggestions thus far.

Can anyone add some good Christian (as in Bible-based vs. evolution) curricula that would meet our needs? ASG is a possibility but I was hoping there might be some Christian choices as well.

You know my best discovery so far is the Chem 101, Bio 101, etc. sequence. They're christian in perspective and NARRATIVE, with the stories behind things and the engagement a narrative thinker (dyslexic, adhd, whatever) will enjoy. The dvds come with a pdf of activities, suggested readings, etc., but you could also pair it with a straightforward text. (old edition of BJU biology, very affordable, that sort of thing) Add in some readings on creation science, and boom you're there.

LoriD has some posts here on the boards where she has listed out the things she used for a physical science course. She paired TOPS books (totally activity-driven) with one of the most engaging texts you can find for physical science (Hewitt). Then you can take something like that and spread it out. Your high school credits/units don't have to all be covered in one year. What Lori did was to cover 3 years of science in 4 years, meaning they could take it at a more comfortable pace for her student. To do that, you need to understand the difference between a credit and unit. Credit is material covered, but unit is time spent. So you can assign a unit but put in that time over multiple years or semesters. It gives you a lot of flexibility to make things work for her. She might pick up her fine arts units by doing 1/4 each school year. That sort of thing. And for science on the transcript you simply put it by category, put science, list them, assign units, mark the year completed (just to make it look nicely spread if they require years), and you're there. That way she puts in the time but doesn't have to be rush, rush, rushing.

Well that's a rabbit trail into transcripts, lol. With my dd I'm going to try *just the labs* from the BJU physical science this year. I'm hoping to pull some of the scientists the textbook (which I own but am not requiring her to read) to let her research them, as history is her thing. I think it will make the labs have context and relevance, a narrative. She remembers better stuff we DO than stuff she watches, so that's the way I'm trying with her this year. We'll see how it goes. IF it goes well, my plan is to keep going with the Illustrated Guide to Home (Biology, Chemistry, etc) Experiments books. They were written by a man who posts here on the boards occassionally who himself was an alternative/SN learner. He correlates some texts and weblinks to them if you need additional reading. They're pretty sophisticated labs. I was hoping the physical science labs this year would set us up for success with that.

Dd really likes the BJU dvds for the physical science with Mr. Harmon. If you watch samples, you can see how engaging he would be to some kids. My dd thinks he's awesome. If they run that $99 deal like they did last year (just the videos to add onto the books you already have), then I'll do that. I just didn't want to spend $300 and put in all that money and time per week and not get the labs done. In her case the hands-on are what she remembers, which is why I'm going to try putting the focus there. It's getting back to the root of what worked well for us over the years. Somehow when she hit middle school I got in my head it was important to use textbooks. We put a lot of energy into textbooks and learned a lot LESS, lol. So now we're going back to what worked for us, which was the textbook as a launching point for hands-on. Hopefully that will pan out better. As long as we put in the TIME, we're fine for transcript purposes come high school.

BTW, I'm not advocating you do what we're doing. I'm more saying don't be afraid to think up something new and different that you think will stick with your kid or connect with your kid. As long as you put in the time (and use materials that are relatively close to on-level or generally recognized as being age-appropriate), you're fine. If they're not on-level and you use them in an age-appropriate way (more discussion, more synthesis, etc.) you can be fine. Don't be afraid to make up a combination that really works with her. The ONLY thing you absolutely have to have for transcript purposes is time spent.

Edited by OhElizabeth