Menu

Looking for youth (cycling) helmet advice

My ds has a $20 Walmart helmet and it is terrible. I am now looking to replace his helmet and purchase a helmet for dd. I would like something nice, but I also would like to spend less than $80-100 for both of them (combined.) One of these days I should probably look into getting a helmet for myself, but I really need to get the kids into decent helmets first. I know I could just go down to the bike shop but I am really bad about spending waaay too much money in there.

Random info: Dd's head size is 50 cm, Ds's is 53 cm. They do not use their helmets for anything other than cycling. We will be riding on a 4 mi paved trail in town with several busy crossings. I have been looking at the Gyro Rascal for her and the Bell Trigger for him, but I could easily be swayed toward a different helmet.

Does anyone have any helmet advice?

We have a Giro Rascal for DD and it's good quality.

Generally, though, helmets have to pass basic safety tests (ANSI I think is the main standard; Snell is another that is a bit more rigorous, from what I remember). If it fits well, the kid will wear it, and it passes the standard, it's probably just as good as any other helmet. Fitting well means it is snug, is worn level across the forehead, and doesn't wobble or slip back or to the sides. If the forehead is exposed, it's not providing adequate protection. So if the straps of a cheap helmet don't allow it to be adjusted to fit well, then I would invest in something a bit more expensive with an easier fit system.

What I see most often is that kids are wearing helmets that aren't adjusted properly and don't fit well.

Thank you! I LOVE those Nutcase helmets- too cute! I think one of those would be perfect for ds.

I'm glad to hear that the Rascal is a good quality helmet. I probably will end up going that route for dd.

ETA:

So if the straps of a cheap helmet don't allow it to be adjusted to fit well, then I would invest in something a bit more expensive with an easier fit system.

That is exactly the problem we are having with ds's helmet now. It should fit, but it simply can't be adjusted to fit well.

Edited by Element

I've found the information at BHSI.org to be helpful when shopping for helmets. I was thinking about getting a Nutcase to replace one of our outgrown helmets, but then when I read this, I thought it might be better to choose something else:

"Nutcase began its marketing with a single classic skate helmet with ABS hard shell in many colorful and whimsical graphics designed to convince stubborn kids that wearing a helmet is cool. Their Street helmet is certified only to the CPSC bicycle helmet standard, not the ASTM skateboard standard, despite the skateboarding label and the words 'multi-sport' including skateboarding on the box. Their product literature also misquotes the title of the CPSC bicycle helmet standard and adds the word skateboard to it. We would not recommend buying a helmet from any manufacturer who is that confused about standards. The retail price is $45 to $60 for the models sold in bike shops."

I've found the information at BHSI.org to be helpful when shopping for helmets. I was thinking about getting a Nutcase to replace one of our outgrown helmets, but then when I read this, I thought it might be better to choose something else:

"Nutcase began its marketing with a single classic skate helmet with ABS hard shell in many colorful and whimsical graphics designed to convince stubborn kids that wearing a helmet is cool. Their Street helmet is certified only to the CPSC bicycle helmet standard, not the ASTM skateboard standard, despite the skateboarding label and the words 'multi-sport' including skateboarding on the box. Their product literature also misquotes the title of the CPSC bicycle helmet standard and adds the word skateboard to it. We would not recommend buying a helmet from any manufacturer who is that confused about standards. The retail price is $45 to $60 for the models sold in bike shops."

Thanks for the site and the info. But this quote from your linked page confuses me: " A sticker inside the helmet tells what standard it meets. Helmets made for the U.S. must meet the US Consumer Product Safety Commission standard, so look for a CPSC sticker. ASTM's F1447 standard is identical. Snell's B-95 standard is tougher but seldom used."

Is that F1447 particular to bike helmets and not skateboarding then? ETA: Never mind. I think I found that info. I have considered buying DS9 an upgraded helmet now that he uses a Ripstik in addition to just his bike and scooter.

If you are going with something else, what did you choose? I need to explore the site more but I'm interested in gleaning info from someone who has already done the work. :D

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

My best helmets have all come from bicycle shops (both mine and my sons'). Not that you have to buy them there, but I'd highly recommend going to a local shop to try a few on and ask questions from the people there. Typically, they are dedicated bikers who know what they are talking about. I feel comfortable adjusting it myself, but if you don't, one of them might do it for you if you buy it there.

Oh, and improper helmet fittings drive me crazy! I live in a military base where helmets are required, and, wow, from the kids with the helmets hanging off the backs of their heads to the adults who attach the straps on TOP of their helmet so they can just perch it there while they ride, I've seen it all. Having had my face, and possibly life, saved by a helmet during a bike accident, this stuff blows my mind. I will always pay good money for a helmet for my kids.