Menu

dropping latin coop~what to do for grammar & writing???

mamamoon

help friends, i am re-organizing our home-school a bit this coming year. i appreciate your help and advice...

i always appeciate your wise advice.

my daughter has done 3 years of latin, and we are taking a break.

she will be going into 6th grade.

because her program was a bit involved (latina christiana), she had a lot of homework, vocab, so we did not do a lot of grammar & writing.

so much grammar with the latin.....

this coming year, i know i need to make up for that.

what should i look at? i have seen iew~looks a little intimidating:confused:

whta else????

I have used IEW and we didn't enjoy it. It just didn't fit our family, however, I do know several homeschoolers that use it and really love it. It is rather intense and was just too much for my son to wrap his brain around. So I have switched us to Write With the Best. It covers grammar and writing and the method is for the child to read books from great writers and immulate their methods. It is broken down into easy, daily lessons.

For my daughter, 11th grade, we are using Classical Writing Diogenes Maxim.

I have also used Writing With Ease and loved it as well. I may also use Writing with Skill for my middle grade child.

• 2 weeks later...
I have used IEW and we didn't enjoy it. It just didn't fit our family, however, I do know several homeschoolers that use it and really love it. It is rather intense and was just too much for my son to wrap his brain around. So I have switched us to Write With the Best. It covers grammar and writing and the method is for the child to read books from great writers and immulate their methods. It is broken down into easy, daily lessons.

For my daughter, 11th grade, we are using Classical Writing Diogenes Maxim.

I have also used Writing With Ease and loved it as well. I may also use Writing with Skill for my middle grade child.

Thanks for recommending these. I hadn't seen Write with the Best before and it really is appealing.

Didn't like Writing Strands. Dry and boring.

For grammar we use "Growing with Grammar." I really like it. It's straightforward and I'd say fairly rigorous. For writing, this year I'm trying "Winning with Writing" for my 2nd grader. My 6th grader will be starting the classical writing program from Memoria Press, the one that goes through the 14 stages of the progymnasmata. I think they only have the first 2 stages available right now.

• 1 month later...