Menu

Anybody homeschool in MA? Legal question help.

I have a question concerning test results, and MA Homeschooling laws.

Anyone know if they can reject an approval to homeschool if your child did poorly on one of the subjects on a standardized test?

My 13 yo(7th grade) bombed the science on the Terra Nova. Her stanine was a 3. Bleck.

All her other stanines were 5 and above. Mostly 6-9. Her Language, Math, and Reading she fell in between the 76th-86th percentile.

My district requires an assessment. And you must send in the assessment that you stated you would submit on your LOI at the begininng of the school year.

She actually scored slightly above the 50th percentile in Life Science. But the rest she was mainly in the 16th percentile.

I asked her and she said the questions were hard.

I don't want her to take the test over again, as she scored well in the other subjects. She did better last year though.

I just didn't know if they could force your child back into school because of a low stanine in one subject.

I think the only thing that's required is that homeschooling be "equal in thoroughness and efficiency" according to Charles. But what that means is ??? Surely lots of school kids score below average, or the average wouldn't be the average. And I kind of doubt they'll obsess over a content-based score like science, where your content might not line up with the test, than if it were English or Math. But this is why I don't like the idea of using testing to report - I've always done a narrative/progress report.

I'd ask this question on MHLA or AHEM if you're on it. I'm sure you'll get more authoritative responses.

Thank you for the reply.

I have asked on MHLA, and got the same answer. Pretty much they cannot deny me to homeschool based on test scores. My approval is based on a well intentioned Education Plan. Doesn't mean I am expected to produce stellar results.

This year, I am stating I am submitting one progress report in the summer of 2013 along with our plans for the following school year.

We used Apologia General Science this year. And my dd did not like it. She said it was dry and boring. She tested "ok" on the tests. But I think that is why she bombed on the Science portion. She did score above 50% on Life Science, but eeverything else like, Earth and Physical was in the 16th percentile.

We are doing HOD's Science this coming year. And def. doing a Progress Report. I know my district frowns on them, but they do not have a choice. It is within my right to do so.

Thanks for the response.

No, they can't not approve your homeschool based on test scores.

I have never given them our kids test scores, nor do I even give them grades until high school. A written narrative of progress is your right and one of the options allowable. Just know the law and work within it. Lots of time we get asked for extras and we just politely remind them it isn't mandated by law.

I don't even give them birthdays or my phone number. Just the grade the kids are in and my address.

Lizzie,

I am doing a Progress Report from now on. Our district requires us to list on our Ed Plan which method of evaluation we will be submitting, or they will send a letter back asking. So in this town, we can't get away without submitting anything.

They also send out a "homeschool policy" which I never sign and send back.

My Ed Plans are one page. Very brief.

I wish that the town didn't ask for evaluations. But they do. But not doing the testing any longer. They can deal with a progress report when I submit my Ed Plan this summer for the upcoming year. Stressing ONE progress report with next years plans .

I just didnt know if they could deny you based on test scores, and if you needed to prove "progress and minimum attainment".

Or could they deny you to homeschool and force your child to re-test?

I have never heard of that happening. But one never knows.

Thanks Lizzie.

I'm pretty sure that the most they can do would be to ask you if you're concerned about the test score and if you plan to make any changes in order to address it.

Even here, in stringent PA, we only have to prove that education is taking place. No one can prevent you from homeschooling due to a low test score.

I'm pretty sure that the most they can do would be to ask you if you're concerned about the test score and if you plan to make any changes in order to address it.

Even here, in stringent PA, we only have to prove that education is taking place. No one can prevent you from homeschooling due to a low test score.

I am def. planning on adding more Science on my Ed Plan this year.

And PA is a harder state then MA. I see you are going to TX. What a difference in HS laws!!!!!