Menu

last minute help-prepping for a visit with therapist

DS and I have a visit with a therapist tomorrow for his (diagnosed by me) depression. Anyone have experience with this? This is new territory for me. Any ideas/advice on how to prepare and make the most out of this initial consultation? So far I have a notebook in which I have listed: noteworthy incidents, the ABCs of that incident (antecedents, behavior and consequences), daily food and exercise log and general mood for the past month. I've also included a list of what we've tried in the past and how effective each of those techniques have been.

Any other ideas of what I should have for the therapist? Any words of advice or btdt wisdom?

The amount of time you have for your appointment is precious -- it will go by quickly, so be specific, try not to off on meaningless tangents, and by all means, use that notebook.

If during the course of the appointment, the therapist says something and you have a question or want to discuss it further, jot it down so you can come back to it without interrupting.

Good luck -- sounds like you are well prepared.

It sounds like you're well prepared. The first visit is often about getting a big picture -- history, current concerns, etc.

To see if he's clinically depressed, the therapist may have your son fill out a questionnaire or just ask him questions, depending on his age. S/he also might want to see him alone for a bit and with you for a bit.

HIH,

Lisa

trained as a therapist many moons ago. ;)

Thanks for the advice. I will make specific notes to make the most of the time and keep me on task. (I'm definitely prone to tangents.) I appreciate the heads up on knowing that the therapist may want to speak to him separately. Def. a good idea to prep him for that. I appreciate y'all taking the time to help me.