Menu

need help deciding on lang. curriuculum for DS

mom24arrows

Hi -

I'm looking at a few different curricula for my DS (FLL, R&S, BJU press) - upcoming "3rd" grader. We have finished two years of FLL - looking at R&S or continuing FLL year 3. A friend loaned me the R&S so I have that - but have heard that it is a lot of writing which isn't DS's strong suit.

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks.

R&S English is a solid program. I use it mostly for the grammar component since I use other things to teach writing. As for the grammar lessons, the first part is oral review and teaching of the new matierial. After that there are written exercises. I had my child do half or all of them depending on how many there were. It is written for a classroom setting, so there are often an excess of practice activities. Your child doesn't have to necessarily do all of the written excerises in order to understand the concepts. However, I would caution against doing the entire lesson orally (as some people do) because having the child write out the practice exercises shows you whether he truly understands the concepts or not.

The writing lessons are good, though I think you would need to add in extra writing assignments for additional practice if R&S were your only writing program.

I have not used FLL or BJU.