Menu

Teaching Textbooks 2.0 math programs... I don't want self-grading. Use without CDs?

I prefer to teach the math myself. I like to go through the lessons with my students and do the practice problems with them, then have them do the problem sets independently. With the 1.0 program, we only use the CDs if we are stumped on how to set up a word problem--which usually happens only a couple of times each school year. Is it possible to use the 2.0 programs in this same way, or do I need to just stick with 1.0?

Also, is there really that much difference in the content of the 1.0 and 2.0 versions?

the content is almost identical.

the improvement is significant for students who work on their own and need the self grading option since a parent is not involved with that.

Do you know if the same is true for all of TT's new 2.0 programs? I'm expecially interested in hearing more about the Pre-Algebra.

The 2.0 version of Pre-Alg and Alg have additional material that wasn't in the 1.0 version -so my assumption is that the 2.0 Alg II will have additional material. For some reason 10 extra topics seems to be what I'm recalling - but I don't know where I heard that.

I used the 1.0 version of Alg II for dd this year - but I will order the 2,0 version for my ds in a couple years.

We use TT as the OP does - I teach the lesson and either let the kids work through the practice problems w/ me or on their own and then watch the DVD to check. The only thing w/ the 2.0 version is that it's set up for the student to answer on the computer - it then automatically tells the student if they answered correctly -- if not they are given the option to re-try on their own or see the solution.

It is different from SOS -- it's really the textbook put on the computer - so you have the lecture, practice problems that you answer and the lesson but you have the option to do it all on the computer and it automatically grade it as they go or the student can still answer on paper.

Does that make sense?

The TT people are the nicest in the world to call and ask questions, and if you get stumped they will call back and give you a bit of tutoring. They have an offer to trade up to the new versions, that is not so expensive. I used the first one of the second editions, and it was nice to see the gradebook thing all averaged up, but kiddo only uses the lectures on the disc when he doesn't quite grasp something, so, I don't care about having the new version for other years.

I make him do the work in a composition notebook, the small bound kind, to keep the paper in one place. He staples tests into them.

Thanks, everyone! I already own the 1st edition of Pre-Algebra (bought used last year for $110 when I didn't realize 2.0 was upcoming :(). I've offered it for sale, but got no takers because everyone is wanting 2.0 instead. I don't know whether there is enough difference in the content of the 2.0 edition to make it worth my while since I won't be using the self-grading option, especially since I already own the previous edition--and can't upgrade (I bought it used instead of new).

If it were you, would you buy 2.0 and try to sell 1st edition, or just keep 1st edition?

Edited by ereks mom

Thanks, everyone! I already own the 1st edition of Pre-Algebra (bought used last year for $110 when I didn't realize 2.0 was upcoming :(). I've offered it for sale, but got no takers because everyone is wanting 2.0 instead. I don't know whether there is enough difference in the content of the 2.0 edition to make it worth my while since I won't be using the self-grading option, especially since I already own the previous edition--and can't upgrade (I bought it used instead of new).

If it were you, would you buy 2.0 and try to sell 1st edition, or just keep 1st edition?

I would just keep the first edition. I really can't see the need for self-grading. In fact, if I didn't already own all of the books, I would be trying to find the 1st edition to purchase instead of the 2.0. Bet it would be a considerable savings!