Menu

If you write (Robin, EL, others) how do you keep track yourself?

I am on the path to become an organized and disciplined writer, so I'm not sure how helpful I'll be.

I tend to follow my bliss with my fiction. I write in November and June for Nanowrimo and another writing contest. I have several WIPs in various stages. I also write throughout the year, but the last two years have been disorganized because of life situations.

School and life have to be my priorities for now, so I consider myself in the training phase. I jump around on projects. I've kept track of word count, stories I'm writing, tried a writing journal. I haven't quite found the system that truly works for me. I have projects spread out on 3 computers and one of my goals this summer is to create some organization about it.

I did just start writing some content online as a job. It's all contract writing, so you can work when you want. The flexibility is great. Since we're out of school I'm trying to keep to a schedule of at least part-time 4 hours a day. We're only on week 2 of break so I'm still working out the kinks.

I have a goal in mind, and I think that is the main thing with your writing. Ds is off at my parents this week and this is a glimpse of how it might be once he's off at college (whether he's at home for that or not). So far this week I've determined I need to be disciplined about time structure. I'm not a great housekeeper, but it's amazing how much I need to get done when I should be writing. The curtains are crooked, the TV needs dusting. I'm highly distractable.

I haven't written a lot of non-fiction, but I would structure it differently than I do fiction. I like to let characters sit in my head and brew, I rarely outline passed a vague synopsis. With non-fiction, I'd need a bit more structure up front.

The best thing I've done is carry around a journal and just jot down ideas as they come. I date them. It's amazing the wonderful ideas I get and then forget to write down. I'm sure there's a best seller idea that has been lost in my head. :tongue_smilie: I even keep paper and pen handy if I'm watching TV. Sometimes I'll get inspired by a line or some aspect of a character.

I have a long way to go before I hit many of my goals. I've learned so much about myself in the process, it's been worth the meandering path I've chosen.

I can answer for DH.

Words per day, pages per day, a writing club?

Words per day.

Do you have seperate re-write times (apart from writing?)

Yes. He usually knocks out a first draft in 4-6 weeks. That's when he has words-per-day goals. Rewriting is a separate phase.

Do you outline/plot first?

Judging from the number of times he's complained about not knowing what happens next or having written himself into a corner, I'm going to go with No.

Is it different for non fiction than fiction?

Can't comment. He only writes fiction.

Words per day, pages per day, a writing club?

Do you have seperate re-write times (apart from writing?)

Do you outline/plot first?

Is it different for non fiction than fiction?

Needing your best tools, tricks and tips.

Fiction - Daily work: I use 750words.com daily to get blood flowing then start work on current WIP. Overall project usually follows this routine: I do outline first, then fast draft, then many, many revisions. Beta reader. Revisions, revisions, Then crit groups. Revisions, revisions, revisions. Last read. Then submit. Start over with new project.

Non-fiction (for me, this is freelance work, not NF book) - daily work is completely assignment driven. Overall routine: Outline sketch, research, outline sketch, research, 1st draft, research, 2nd draft, 3rd draft. Reader. 4th-100th drafts. Proofreader. Make corrections. Let sit min. 24 hrs. Submit.

I'm fascinated with a writer's process (and her workspace!) but I've learned each writer does things differently. Elizabeth George has a good process book called Write Away in which she goes into detail about her highly organized writing process. If you are looking for a temporary template then that's a good start. However, don't be discouraged if you can't follow her process. My experience was to try on a few dozen "routines" before I had the confidence to build my own, using bits and pieces from these other templates. (Especially with fiction.)

As long as you're writing, then you're making process. :)