Menu

Reading Stamina: Questions

Inspired by a post about reading stamina on the K-8 board, I want to ask a similar question here. I am wondering how long I should expect a logic-age child to read in a single sitting.

DS11 is a strong reader. His comprehension and vocabulary are fine. I think that he needs more stamina. By this, I am meaning the ability to sit with a book for X amount of time without losing focus.

What would you consider a normal amount of sitting time with a meaty science or history book? How about fiction, assuming that the fiction is challenging rather than a page-turner-can't-I-stay-up-later-and-finish type of fiction?

For a meaty book, for 5th grade, I'd expect at least 30 minutes. My DD had to read for an hour a day, sometimes things she picked, sometimes things I picked. Some of the meatier stuff I picked, she had a hard time getting through a full hour, but I made her stick with it to build up that ability. If he's not reading for as long as you'd like, I'd say start where he is, insist on daily reading, and increase the time by 5 minutes every month (or two if he struggles) until you get where you want to be.