Menu

Looking for opinions on difficulty of Apologia Marine Biology

Dd is finishing Biology right now. She has done well. She's going in to 11th grade but is an older 11th grader. I would like to have her do Marine Biology now while Biology is still fresh and have her take Chemistry her 12th grade year. The only reservation I have is that she really appreciated the MP3 recording for Biology since she is dyslexic. I am sure she would have no problem reading the Marine Biology book but it would probably take longer to get through each day. Did your dc's find it much harder than the Biology course? Also if you have any other Marine Biology recommendations I would be open to them.

We just finished Apologia Biology too and we are going on to Marine Biology. I have just done a thorough planning for the Apologia Marine Biology book and it is *very* similar to the biology course. The text is set up to follow the same sequence from very small to the very large. I think if your daughter did well with the biology course, the Marine Biology will be a good fit.

Just my opinion,

Barb-Harmony Art Mom

My son just finished the Marine Biology about a month ago. I had the exact same reservations with him. He isn't dyslexic, he just doesn't care to read and is a VERY slow reader. I loved the MP3 cd for Biology and was really concerned about them not having one available for the Marine Biology.

Anyway, he did fine with it. He did take a little longer to work through the modules, and I just scheduled them in smaller chunks for him since he had to do his own reading. It worked very well. A good portion of the vocabulary is the same. It is a lot of new material, some review, and there is some material that is carried over from Biology but they take the time to dig deeper.

We both really ended up enjoying it. We took it as a filler between Biology and Chemistry because he wasn't caught up on the math prerequisites yet.

Of course, he LOVED the shark dissection! :confused: I was totally grossed out and made him do it on the back patio.

Of course, he LOVED the shark dissection! :confused: I was totally grossed out and made him do it on the back patio.

I know what you mean. Thankfully my brother was a bio major and loves that stuff. We are ready for our fish dissection and after they do the one that comes with the lab they are going to catch and real one to dissect. If only he had a little more free time I'd have him help with the entire course.