Menu

Do you do memory work? How about those with multiple ages?

Quiver0f10

This is something we always start ad then drop. I reread the section in WTM today @ memory work and it makes sense, but doing it is another thing.

What if you have multi ages; do you have each child memorize specific things and/or group stuff?

Up until now, I have had my kids memorize the same things together (like lists of Prime Ministers, major wars, Bible passages, parts of historical documents). This coming year, ds will be doing more logic stage-type work, so I have a few more requirements of him with memory work, but much of it is the same as dd. It's easier for me to get it done when there is as much of the same as possible.

For example, in science, I will have both of them memorize the five kingdoms of life, the divisions of the plant kingdom, the phyla of the animal kingdom, and the systems of the human body. Ds will go a little further, with memorizing parts of a flower (more detail in the plant kingdom), and the major muscles (or bones, can't remember which he chose) of the human body (so, more detail in the human body).

Oh, I just realized, I do let them pick their own poems/passages to memorize from literature. But history, science, and Bible I keep together.

hth

Up until now, I have had my kids memorize the same things together (like lists of Prime Ministers, major wars, Bible passages, parts of historical documents). This coming year, ds will be doing more logic stage-type work, so I have a few more requirements of him with memory work, but much of it is the same as dd. It's easier for me to get it done when there is as much of the same as possible.

For example, in science, I will have both of them memorize the five kingdoms of life, the divisions of the plant kingdom, the phyla of the animal kingdom, and the systems of the human body. Ds will go a little further, with memorizing parts of a flower (more detail in the plant kingdom), and the major muscles (or bones, can't remember which he chose) of the human body (so, more detail in the human body).

Oh, I just realized, I do let them pick their own poems/passages to memorize from literature. But history, science, and Bible I keep together.

hth

Very helpful, thanks for sharing!

Colleen -

Would you share a little more about *how* you have your kids memorize? Do you give them a list and they learn it on their own, or do you recite everything every day? How or do you review old items learned?

We have been memorizing poems, latin, verses and other things by reciting daily. Each child has learned different things based on their level, but holy cow, does it make memory LONG! I'm looking to really shorten memory this year, but I'm not sure how. I know I will be having us all learn the same verses, maybe poetry, but any other advice would be great!

Colleen -

Would you share a little more about *how* you have your kids memorize? Do you give them a list and they learn it on their own, or do you recite everything every day? How or do you review old items learned?

We have been memorizing poems, latin, verses and other things by reciting daily. Each child has learned different things based on their level, but holy cow, does it make memory LONG! I'm looking to really shorten memory this year, but I'm not sure how. I know I will be having us all learn the same verses, maybe poetry, but any other advice would be great!

That's funny, I just wrote about this on another thread about memorization!

I lead my kids in memory work. It just didn't work (yet - maybe in a few more years??) to hand it to them to work on, on their own. For a poem, I have them read aloud to me the first four lines (or I read the lines to a still-learning reader), three times. Then do the same the next day, and the next, until they insist they can say it on their own, without reading it from the paper. Then we do the same with the next part of the poem, until it's all memorized. Then I try to review it every few days, then once a week, once a month.....I had an elaborate review system set up, but I recently stopped cuz it got overwhelming. I will now keep the memorized items in the individual notebook (history in history notebook, science in science notebook, poems in English notebook, etc.), and try to remember to get it out every so often and have them recite the old stuff. I'm also thinking that if we've reviewed the same few things for a whole year, then the following year I won't have to review as much as I thought....maybe every few months or so?

For a history list, I just pick maybe the first 5 or 10 items (say, the Prime Ministers of Canada) and have them read this three times. Repeat the next day, and so on. Then take the next 5 or 10 items, until the whole list is done. And actually, for these lists, I have tried to set them to music which makes it less boring. For example we did the Major Wars to the song for "This is the way we wash the clothes, wash the clothes......early in the morning." And the prime minister list was memorized to "Twinkle twinkle little star." I just pick song tunes off the top of my head and see if it will work with the list. :) Only I have to pick a different song each time, so the kids don't get lists mixed up.:lol: But this is what keeps it interesting for them.

Latin grammar forms.....no songs. I just let ds look at the chart, and show him the direction in which I want him to memorize (go down the singular column first, then the plural column of the conjugations and declensions). Vocab is just taking sections of flashcards and doing a few each day - Latin to English, and English to Latin. I now have them sorted into parts of speech which makes it easier. And the nouns are sorted into declensions, as are the verbs sorted into conjugations. Much easier to manage.

Science - the classification stuff is just lists for now (with a blurb of a characteristic beside the animal phyla). Things like parts of a flower or muscle groups....I haven't done these up yet, but I'm thinking of finding a simple drawing, making copies, and just have ds label blank copies several times until he can do it without looking in a book or at a labelled drawing.

I know what you mean about it taking forever. That's why I try to streamline as much as possible, but still minding the overall picture. What do I want them to memorize, what will give an overall study structure, WHY, and how do I go about it efficiently. When I go through this thought process, I actually come up with more to memorize, but get it done more efficiently. Which ultimately helps them to organize information better when they get around to studying.

hth

Well, I don't have quite the multiple ages that you do ;) but, I would still have them all memorize the same things, I think. (Mine do the same thing). We start our day with Bible and then do memory first thing. I wrote a memory work post on my blog that explains how we do our memory work. My kids actually really enjoy it. I'm adding a new element this year-the recitation piece. They draw one of the poems that we have done on Monday and have to be ready to present it on Friday. This is to help with the public speaking piece. Let me know if you have any other questions. Our memory includes verses, grammar jingles, Latin prayers, history and science related things, poetry (mostly from IEW).

and we usually work on three types: 1)Scripture, 2)catechism questions, and 3)poetry. (Subject-specific memorization, such as Latin vocab/grammar, is done separately.)

Each week I let my dc choose a new verse and a new poem (unless they are working on a longer poem and haven't finished yet). They also proceed to the next catechism question in the book.

Right before morning devotions, my dc sit down with their memory work and review silently. (Some need to say their selections out loud, or at least whisper them, so we spread out in to a couple of rooms for this.) On Fridays, we have recitations. The children have come to enjoy standing up in front of their sibings and reciting their work (and earning M&Ms!).

New memory work is also used as copywork on Monday (and continuing to Tuesday if necessary). This is another way of reinforcing the passages.

I wrote a memory work post on my blog that explains how we do our memory work. My kids actually really enjoy it.... Our memory includes verses, grammar jingles, Latin prayers, history and science related things, poetry (mostly from IEW).

I just started memory work this year and after reading Mindy's blog post I set it up basically the same. It's been a hit, and I appreciate Mindy sharing with us beginners!

I made a CD that I play each morning. This week it has addition facts, a science song about respiration (we're in anatomy in science), a song learning kings of England in order, the Apostle's Creed, the hymn Amazing Grace and the SOTW chapter we're on. It's about 14 minutes long and I play it while I'm getting books out and setting up for school in the morning. Both of my kiddos learn very well this way, so it works for us - no sweat for me and good results for them. YMMV.

My current quest is for more sound files to include on the CD. I've pretty much spent my budget for this next school year, so I'm trying to find free or low cost sound bits to add to my playlist to use for memory work this year. I just ordered a mic and will probably end up recording some of my own. Don't know any songs listing Pharaohs or Caesars. :001_smile:

Well, I don't have quite the multiple ages that you do ;) but, I would still have them all memorize the same things, I think. (Mine do the same thing). We start our day with Bible and then do memory first thing. I wrote a memory work post on my blog that explains how we do our memory work. My kids actually really enjoy it. I'm adding a new element this year-the recitation piece. They draw one of the poems that we have done on Monday and have to be ready to present it on Friday. This is to help with the public speaking piece. Let me know if you have any other questions. Our memory includes verses, grammar jingles, Latin prayers, history and science related things, poetry (mostly from IEW).

This was very helpful and I like your CD idea, from your blog! Thanks :)

and we usually work on three types: 1)Scripture, 2)catechism questions, and 3)poetry. (Subject-specific memorization, such as Latin vocab/grammar, is done separately.)

This is what I had in mind. We will probably do latin seperately, although it might be easier to do it al together inthe mornings.

I just started memory work this year and after reading Mindy's blog post I set it up basically the same. It's been a hit, and I appreciate Mindy sharing with us beginners!

I made a CD that I play each morning. This week it has addition facts, a science song about respiration (we're in anatomy in science), a song learning kings of England in order, the Apostle's Creed, the hymn Amazing Grace and the SOTW chapter we're on. It's about 14 minutes long and I play it while I'm getting books out and setting up for school in the morning. Both of my kiddos learn very well this way, so it works for us - no sweat for me and good results for them. YMMV.

My current quest is for more sound files to include on the CD. I've pretty much spent my budget for this next school year, so I'm trying to find free or low cost sound bits to add to my playlist to use for memory work this year. I just ordered a mic and will probably end up recording some of my own. Don't know any songs listing Pharaohs or Caesars. :001_smile:

I was wondering where you got the songs and sound bites you use. I would love soem free ones too as out budget is spent too.

I was just asking my husband the other night if it was possible to record myself on the computer and burn it to a CD. I was thinking that CD would be better than a tape for helping my kids with their memory work because it's easier to skip around. Does anyone know how to do this?