Menu

Kitchen Chemistry? Please help!

4Kiddos

Sigh...I feel so stupid posting this.:banghead: But, does anyone have any good recommendations for a book or other resource that I can read to learn about kitchen chemistry? I took chemistry in college but it was so long ago that I honestly don't remember a lot of it. My son has been asking about various chemistry questions (why does the oil run away from the milk mommy?) and I need a refresher. (I stumbled through his questions and realized I need help!) Thanks!

Alton Brown has a set of 3 books based on his show Good Eats (same title). Not only does it give the recipes, but it explains why everything works. We love them here. In the early years we used Science Chef, a very basic (K-3 level) book that teaches the beginnings - why does toast brown? Why does lemon juice keep apples from turning? And then has some little experiments to go with.

Alton Brown has a set of 3 books based on his show Good Eats (same title). Not only does it give the recipes, but it explains why everything works. We love them here. In the early years we used Science Chef, a very basic (K-3 level) book that teaches the beginnings - why does toast brown? Why does lemon juice keep apples from turning? And then has some little experiments to go with.

:iagree:

We also used Vicki Cobb's Science Experiments You can Eat and this site.

Here is another site we used. And another.

Steve Spangler has a few videos.