Menu

PA HS'ers Comparative Govt class cancelled - now what?

My son was very much looking forward to the PA Homeschoolers Comparative Govt class but we were just notified it has been cancelled. The reason he chose this is because he is a debater and this year's topic is international. Now we need to choose an alternative class, so I'm looking for suggestions of what your students have taken and benefitted from.

My son was very much looking forward to the PA Homeschoolers Comparative Govt class but we were just notified it has been cancelled. The reason he chose this is because he is a debater and this year's topic is international. Now we need to choose an alternative class, so I'm looking for suggestions of what your students have taken and benefitted from.

Do you know why? My daughter wants to take it 2013/2014.

I don't know why it was cancelled, but it is a blessing that it was cancelled!

This is the only class at PA Homeschoolers that has gotten consistently bad reviews. I remember some bad reviews (either on their site or this board) in prior years. This past spring, a student in my daughter's AP english class asked her fellow classmates for feedback before signing up, and there was an overwhelming "do not take this course, waste of time and money" outcry on the class website. One person my daughter knows dropped this course before Christmas because of the problems and said others dropped it as well. There was a scathing review posted on their site at the end of this year from a girl my daughter has been in class with who is a good, typical PA Homeschoolers student and definitely not the type to write such a review just to stir up trouble. She was really trying to do the right thing by warning other students of the problems.

Hopefully, PA Homeschoolers finds a replacement teacher that is capable of running a Comp. Gov't course of the same quality as the rest of their classes. The subject matter sounds really interesting.

Wow - I'll just be thankful for this blessing in disguise!

I don't know why it was cancelled, but it is a blessing that it was cancelled!

This is the only class at PA Homeschoolers that has gotten consistently bad reviews. I remember some bad reviews (either on their site or this board) in prior years. This past spring, a student in my daughter's AP english class asked her fellow classmates for feedback before signing up, and there was an overwhelming "do not take this course, waste of time and money" outcry on the class website. One person my daughter knows dropped this course before Christmas because of the problems and said others dropped it as well. There was a scathing review posted on their site at the end of this year from a girl my daughter has been in class with who is a good, typical PA Homeschoolers student and definitely not the type to write such a review just to stir up trouble. She was really trying to do the right thing by warning other students of the problems.

Hopefully, PA Homeschoolers finds a replacement teacher that is capable of running a Comp. Gov't course of the same quality as the rest of their classes. The subject matter sounds really interesting.

Is PAH's Comparative Govt. taught by the same person as AIM Academy's (Debra Bell's site) Pre-AP Govt. class? Initials are "T.S." Just wondering because for some reason I remember seeing the same instructor for a PAH class and AIM class...and I'm thinking it was government.

My 2 ds are signed up for AIM's government and by the way the posts in this thread sound, I'm hoping that this is NOT the same instructor.

Is PAH's Comparative Govt. taught by the same person as AIM Academy's (Debra Bell's site) Pre-AP Govt. class? Initials are "T.S." Just wondering because for some reason I remember seeing the same instructor for a PAH class and AIM class...and I'm thinking it was government.

My 2 ds are signed up for AIM's government and by the way the posts in this thread sound, I'm hoping that this is NOT the same instructor.

I don't know but the PAH Comparative Govt class was being taught by a gentleman with those initials.

There was a scathing review posted on their site at the end of this year from a girl my daughter has been in class with who is a good, typical PA Homeschoolers student and definitely not the type to write such a review just to stir up trouble. She was really trying to do the right thing by warning other students of the problems.

Is PAH's Comparative Govt. taught by the same person as AIM Academy's (Debra Bell's site) Pre-AP Govt. class?

It looks like Comp. Govt has been scrubbed from the site, but the review is cached here and the teacher's initials are T.S..

It looks like Comp. Govt has been scrubbed from the site, but the review is cached here and the teacher's initials are T.S..

Oh gosh! I went to the site and this IS the same instructor. My two ds are signed up for the govt. class through AIM Academy. :confused: Wondering if I should bail out and choose another option for dss. Hmm. Back to the drawing board for government. Shucks!