How does this look for 7th:

HollyDay

Spelling: MegaWords cont. from this year

Literature: Lightning Lit 7

Writing: CW Homer B with Harvey's Grammar

Math: TT pre-algebra

History: SOTW vol 3

Science: BJU 7

Will CW with HArvey's give us enough Grammar or should I use something like Analytical Grammar?

Suggestions for Latin are always appreciated!

Is SOTW vol 3 adequate for a 7th grader? I planned on doing history together with my 4th grader next year.

Thanks!!!!

Hi Holly,

It looks good to me. You asked for Latin suggestions...we love Latin in the Christian Trivium. We're in LCT II right now. As far as logic goes, my 7th grader actually loves reading the Fallacy Detective and can't wait to get to the Thinking Toolbox. I am going to be SOTW 3 next year with my 5th and 8th grader (we started homeschooling only 2 years ago). I plan on adding some more reading and writing assignments for my 8th grader. They both love SOTW and I want them both to finish it up. (I'm sure when my son is in 9th grade, he will still want to listen to SOTW...but I will make him do history a la WTM method.)

Have fun!

Hi Holly,

I am on my fifth (and last!) seventh grader. I think your plan in general is very good and well thought out. A few specific comments:

1. LL 7 is a very enjoyable program. I am using it this year. It introduces beginning literary concepts, covers some composition helps and plenty of composition topics, reviews some grammar points (especially mechanics), and is not overly fast paced. I have fast readers and strong (if somewhat reluctant) writers, so I can supplement with more books (Sonlight readers for fun) and more composition (Wordsmith series).

2. I have CW Homer (although I am not using it this year) and if you use Harvey's, that will be plenty for grammar (especially when combined with the bit of review in LL 7).

3. I had SOTW 3 (and 4) to use this year for Sonlight 7 history (part 2 of World History) and my seventh grader begged me not to use it. She felt it was way too babyish. We have been through World History before; if you haven't, your student will probably find it very interesting. I would recommend getting the Test book to use as either worksheet reinforcement or as a practice tool for testing; the SOTW Activity Guide would probably be too young unless you child loves simple projects in which case he/she would find it a lot more enjoyable than the Tests.

BTW, we ended up going with BJU's 7th grade history text which also covers the second part of World History (picks up with a brief review of the Middle Ages, Ren & Ref, then covers the rest of World History with a strong geographical component. My seventh grader has been enjoying this very much--we read the text aloud together and go over the Review Q's orally. I assign a few of the Activity Sheets (available separately), all the mapping assignments (found in the activity book), and a few other projects (the teacher's guide gives suggestions, such as oral reports the students might do, a recipe for every chapter). I also use the Test Booklet as I think it is 1. a good review of the material, 2. the questions are worded in such a way that they force the student to think, and 3. Provides opportunity for one or two beginning "essay" questions every chapter. The level of work and thinking seems well-suited for a 7th grader.

4. Latin: It is very difficult to suggest a program without knowing how much (if any) Latin you have covered. If it is none and you are not versed in Latin yourself, I would suggest Latina Christiana 1. (This is what I used, without DVDs). It is very easy to use and will prepare you for any of the other more rigourous programs.

If you want to charge ahead, I would recommend Latin in the Christian Trivium (LitCT) as it is the best Jr. High program for the non-Latin teacher. I am using this with my 7th grade daughter. For us, with LC1 under our belt and several years of R&S English, it is a nice mixture of review and stretching, grammar-based but with a reading/story component. Like CW, it utilizes the notebook approach and is very strong grammatically. I would personally recommend keeping a grammar notebook for either CW or Latin (my preference would be with LitCT) but not both--total overkill.

If you want a straight forward, no nonsense approach to Latin which is strongly grammar-based, you might look at Henle's with MODG's Latin I Syllabus. I am using this with my sons (ages 14 and 16) and they, logical thinkers both, are enjoying it very much.

I have personally not had much success with reading-based Latin programs (Lingua Latina, for example) but it is because I can't figure out how to teach it. I have not found Latin to be self-teaching, therefore I have to use a program *I* can figure out. I am still hoping that we will enjoy Lingua Latina as readers some day soon.... :-)

Some food for thought,

Vicki in Montenegro