Menu

Wellesley High's memorable graduation speech

http://www.theswellesleyreport.com/2012/06/wellesley-high-grads-told-youre-not-special/

The crowning line is, "You're not special!"

But any speech that includes a plea to read more, do the right thing, and seek to love what you do makes a worthwhile read!

You have to read the entire speech in context. Within the context, he was not being insulting. (On the general board, there is some controversy.)

I will print the whole speech and have my sons read it. This the kind of wake up call that many young people need.

Faith

You have to read the entire speech in context. Within the context, he was not being insulting. (On the general board, there is some controversy.)

I will print the whole speech and have my sons read it. This the kind of wake up call that many young people need.

Faith

:iagree: My son will be reading it tomorrow.

Originally Posted by FaithManor View Post

Faith

Absolutely. :iagree: That's why I posted it -- I found the speech VERY thought-provoking and a good antidote to the feel-good culture "we're all winners here" that we are surrounded by.

Katie,

He is the son of David McCullough.

My husband found the speech on youtube. Someone was smart enough to record it!

I hope the link above works.

We listened to it with my sons and I thought it was an awesome speech. In my opinion, there wasn't anything offensive. I don't believe any of the parents or students thought so either.