Menu

Latina Christina....the good, bad, ugly?

fiddle

I've been blessed with LC I and plan to use it with my rising 7th grader.....I wondered for those of you that have used it, what did you think of this program? I need a *very* gentle introduction to Latin, as my rising 7th grader is already under a heavly load next year trying to remediate some of the core skills where public schools failed us.

Also, if you used LC, did you all use the DVDs or not? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to invest in the $$ to purchase the DVDs or my daughter and I can just do the program with the pronunciation CDs and the books.

Thanks!

Paula

I've been blessed with LC I and plan to use it with my rising 7th grader.....I wondered for those of you that have used it, what did you think of this program? I need a *very* gentle introduction to Latin, as my rising 7th grader is already under a heavly load next year trying to remediate some of the core skills where public schools failed us.

Also, if you used LC, did you all use the DVDs or not? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to invest in the $$ to purchase the DVDs or my daughter and I can just do the program with the pronunciation CDs and the books.

Thanks!

Paula

I've used it with both kids, but they started it earlier and after using Prima Latina. I liked it. It prepared them well for studying Henle's First Year Latin. I'm pretty sure it would be a good gentle intro. for your rising 7th grader. It is mostly about memorizing vocabulary, grammar forms, prayers, and sayings; and then beginning translation. I certainly would focus on remediating other skills first, though. But LC isn't super-heavy.

I did not bother with the DVDs, and I had never studied Latin before. I just got a lot of help from the teacher book, made flashcards, made sure we drilled the memory work every day. It was pretty easy to teach once we got into a study rhythm. The teacher book is pretty good, and if you get confused on anything, you can always ask here - plenty of Latin gurus around the forums!

p.s. There are some minor mistakes (unless the books have been revised since I bought them) in either LC I or LC II - but just come here and ask if something is confusing or if something seems to be missing.

We are using LC this year and have enjoyed it as a gentle intro to Latin. We bought the DVDs, but only used them for the first lesson or two; they just dragged out the lesson too long, especially defining the derivatives.

The key for us is a little each day. We bought the Ludere Latine game book (mostly for the parse strings and the grammar crosswords) and the Cumulative Review book. This provided enough written work to cement the grammar concepts. The flashcards are also important.

We do about 15-20 minutes a day, five days a week for third grade. An older student could probably move through faster, but it won't overload you.

The key for us is a little each day. We bought the Ludere Latine game book (mostly for the parse strings and the grammar crosswords) and the Cumulative Review book. This provided enough written work to cement the grammar concepts. The flashcards are also important.

We do about 15-20 minutes a day, five days a week for third grade. An older student could probably move through faster, but it won't overload you.

:iagree: This is basically what we did for 4th grade this past year. Except that I found that I really needed the DVDs. The student book does not have grammar explanations in it, and the TM did not offer enough help for me (there is no explanation of declensions, it just told me to look online for resources so that I could understand and teach them). The grammar explanations in the DVDs are excellent. I also appreciated the recitation portion of the DVDs; I struggled with getting that done on my own each week and ensuring that I covered everything.