Menu

Outling--WTM and Kingfisher/Human Odyssey--I'm confused

I was reading through my WTM again recently, and I'm not sure if I'm reading it correctly or not.

It seems at some point within the History (Logic) section the instructions say to outline the Kingfisher pages (maybe in the 5th grade part?--don't have my book with me).

But then in another section (maybe the weekly schedule?) it says to outline two pages from the additional reading (not the spine).

So my question--Do we outline the "spine," or do we outline the "additional reading?" Am I reading it correctly?

Was wanting to know if we should be outlining Kingfisher/Human Odyssey, or if I should plan to get other related library books to outline.

:confused:

Lisa

I was reading through my WTM again recently, and I'm not sure if I'm reading it correctly or not.

It seems at some point within the History (Logic) section the instructions say to outline the Kingfisher pages (maybe in the 5th grade part?--don't have my book with me).

But then in another section (maybe the weekly schedule?) it says to outline two pages from the additional reading (not the spine).

So my question--Do we outline the "spine," or do we outline the "additional reading?" Am I reading it correctly?

Was wanting to know if we should be outlining Kingfisher/Human Odyssey, or if I should plan to get other related library books to outline.

:confused:

Lisa

Many people here over the years have said that the red Kingfisher is difficult to outline (too compacted)(and I agree), but the white one is great. If you have the red, you can always use that as a jumping-off point for supplementary library books, and just outline passages from library books.

It is confusing! And I think the process has changed from different editions of WTWM. I have edition 1 and 3. The 3rd edition has much better instructions for how to handle middle grade history.

In the 3rd ed there are 6 steps

1. Read an encyclopedia type book. Make a list of 6-8 facts. In 5th grade those can be any facts that catches the students attention. As they get older it should be important facts. Require complete sentences.

2. put dates on a timeline

3. look up locations on maps, globe etc.

1-3 can be done in one day.

4-6 are done with the secondary reading. This could be a library book on one of the facts the student wrote down on day 1. Or, it could be from a text book or a pertinent biography etc

4. Read

5. student will write a brief narration from the reading. This can be from a sub-chapter in a text or about a single episode in a biography or a battle etc.

6. Student will use the same reading material and create an outline. In 5th grade this would be a one point outline. It gets more complete as the student gets older. Again, it doesn't have to be long. A 250 word section is sufficient.

Occasionally have the student outline first and then write from their outline.

edited to add: I like this method much better. It takes the specific book/encyclopedia/resource out of the equation. The focus is the method, not what precise colour kingfisher etc you are using. When I was getting ready to teach middle grades, people here told me that these years are spent using content to teach skills. I think the history method as put forward in the 3rd edition WTM does a better job of that.

Edited by redsquirrel

I like this method much better. It takes the specific book/encyclopedia/resource out of the equation. The focus is the method, not what precise colour kingfisher etc you are using. When I was getting ready to teach middle grades, people here told me that these years are spent using content to teach skills. I think the history method as put forward in the 3rd edition WTM does a better job of that.

:iagree:

I own the 2nd and 3rd edition WTM. It does seem to change between the editions. The 2nd WTM says to use the Kingfisher encyclopedia as your spine and to outline from it. I bought the Red KHE years in advance after reading that to have on hand for logic stage.

Then 3rd edition came out and it says to use the additional reading resources for the actual outlining. Some on here say it is because the Red encyclopedia is harder to outline from the older white one.

I don't even think the newest WTM even lists the KHE as a spine anymore? I could be wrong about that. I am not looking at it.

As for what I am going to do: for 5th grade next year I will have my dd begin outlining from our Red KHE (spine) as opposed to additional books. I have checked her example outline about using the KHE in 2nd edition to my Red KHE, and it matches up. So I will be able to do it as layed out. I think that will be an easier transition for us instead of finding just the right passage out of library books for our first year.

HTH..

I don't even think the newest WTM even lists the KHE as a spine anymore? I could be wrong about that.

You are correct. And the only reason it doesn't is because the KHE went out of print at the time of the WTM revision. SWB looked for other recommendations here. Then, the KHE became available again after the new WTM was published. :D

We used SOTW 4 in the logic stage and the Activity Guide, which has outlining practice in it. We also used Writing With Skill, which provides outlining instruction, too. So between those two things, I didn't feel that ds needed any more outlining practice.

One advantage of using SOTW for outlining is that it is written by SWB. ;) Because she feels that organization of ideas is important in writing, she writes in a way that lends itself very well to outlining. The same cannot be said of other books, unfortunately.

Edited by Maverick_Mom