Menu

What are the keys to a successfull co-op?

I'm not too happy with the co-op I'm in right now. Although many of the parents and the leader are very dedicated there are so many things that just don't seem to run smoothly. A good majority of the kids seem to be disrepectful to the adults. I'm not sure how the students act in classes, I stay with the little ones, but when we are changing classes if you need to tell a kid something you usually just get a look like :001_huh: and then they keep on doing what they are doing. This has been brought up but in the end it has been left to the parents to keep their dc in line. There are other things that I struggle with but won't go into here.

If you attend a co-op that you enjoy and would be very sad if it disbanned what makes it successful?

If you attend a co-op that you enjoy and would be very sad if it disbanned what makes it successful?

Well-laid out expectations and people committed to being there because they know that they are needed. Our co-op is large and turns people away every year due to space limitations, so those in the co-op know that it's a privilege to be there. Everyone, kids included, has to sign a behavior standards agreement that states that they will be removed from the co-op if their behavior is disruptive to the teacher, class, or group as a whole. They have 3 chances, and then they're out. This standard has never had to be implemented, but it's there so that people know that it is a serious issue. Parents are also asked to help keep all of the co-op kids in line, not just their own.

Now, of course that doesn't mean the kids in our co-op are never disrespectful or that adults don't get "the look" you mentioned. But we do work very hard to let people know that the behavior of an individual reflects on the group as a whole, and that whether we are on a field trip or on campus at the facility where we meet for classes, people are watching. It's up to all of us to make sure they are seeing a positive representation of homeschoolers.

I agree w/having standards of behavior. The co-op I attend is religious based so there is an even higher standard of behavior and I'm pleased to say there are few issues each year. We are very lucky because in our group, EVERY parent would be unhappy if their child rolled eyes at an adult. That is the culture of our organization and it sounds like your co-op just isn't that way.

I was in a different co-op and parents were most interested in not squelching their children so they didn't want them to have to conform to a set of rules. I am of the mind-set that to be part of a group you may have to give up some of your personal liberties, which I consider easy to do for a few hours/week, while other parents thought that was intolerable. The end result was that it was too disorganized.

I don't like a bunch of rules, but some are necessary in a large group.

It sounds like your co-op is not going to change. You'll have to decide if it's worth dealing with that attitude and having your kids exposed to it.

I've been part of small family co-ops mostly (just 4-5 families). I think the key to those is that the parents like each other, trust each other and work well together. It's not about how its run per se, but more that everyone be happy with it and trust how it's run. When it's small, you can be flexible and the parents themselves can be the organization without a lot of written rules.

For larger co-ops, I think it's basically about organization and responsiveness. To be organized so things run smoothly and to have systems in place for money and discipline and volunteering and field trips and everything. Also, to have an organization that's responsive to the members - that allows for new ideas and contributions, that is open to re-evaluating systems when necessary. I worked for a long time with Quakers and I learned so, so much about building consensus and making decisions in ways that are both expedient and allow an organization to really be of the members. I have the feeling from what I hear about many homeschool co-ops that they could take a lesson from the Quakers.

We have a relatively small co-op - we aren't an academic co-op really, more of an enrichment type thing (this year we'll be doing an art class for one group, science experiments with one, manners for the little kids, etc.). I think there are about 10-15 families most years.

We are starting to grow, and this will be the first year that we have written rules that people must agree to in order to join. We have a 3X your out on behavior also.

However, for the MOST part, if a child acts rudely or disrespectfully to an adult or a child, the moms are usually all over the child to correct the behavior. We really have had only minor issues, but they are solved quickly. There is always that one or two families who don't seem to think their kids are bad even though they are, but it's not a really big problem in our small group, thankfully.

Our co-op isn't huge, but these are some of the things that I think has made it successful. (It's been good for a few years, but we've had some changes, and this past year was a growing year, in which we really worked hard at the format, and it was *great.*)

-A dedicated co-op director, who is not also teaching, nor is she running the rest of the support group. This has freed our support group President up to focus on other things, and it means that one person is the go-to person. She's also the one who keeps the schedule running, knows where everyone is supposed to be, makes sure clean-up happens, etc. Nothing is haphazard. She also can substitute if needed. Our director is really, really good for this position, and I really feel that this has made the biggest difference.

-Code of conduct -- it's general, but it states that children need to listen to any adult who is in charge, but they are ultimately in their parents' care. All moms must sign this, and children in the family who can write are to sign it too.

-Payment in advance. Offer discounts for teachers if you can, and if you offer a cap, that might attract larger families, which is good for filling classes, but it also means that you have more kids without as many adults. So it's a mixed blessing, I suppose.

-Everyone participates somehow. You teach, or assist, or watch the nursery, or you are the hostess for the Mom's Room, or something.

-Options -- next year we will be able to offer X or Y for several of our age groups, which I think is helpful to our parents, because, especially since we're in a portfolio state, parents can pick which classes complement their own teaching strengths.

-Down time/time for socializing/fellowship, and something for the kids to do during that time. We have a time together, then time for separate classes based on age/interest, then a free time when the kids can play or eat a snack, then a second class period, and then some time afterward when the kids can play more.

Thanks everyone for your input. The main reason I have stayed with the co-op that we currently attend is because it's close. Other co-ops are at least 45 minutes from where we live. There has been talk among our homeschool group about starting a seperate co-op so I thought it would be a good idea to have suggestions from others who have been a part of a successful co-op.

I love the idea of a code of conduct. That is lacking at ours. There really are no consequences for children who miss behave. We had a preschooler last year who would never stay with his mom or where he was suppose to be. A couple of times mom's found him out in the parking lot by himself. His mom was REALLY laid back and always said, oh, he's fine, he'll come back. :confused: I don't think they are returning this year.

There are also times when teacher's can't make it either because they are sick or whatever so classes get canceled. There is no system in place for substitutes. My dd's class was canceled a couple of times and so she was left with nothing to do. Also, if I class does get cancelled we don't know until we are there, it would be nice to know ahead of time.

Guest MacFamily5

I bought a book by Carol Topp, about how to start a co-op, run it and not burn out. I think it is very well written, and helps lay out how to implement exactly the things you're talking about.

My husband and I are going to start-up a classical christian co-op in our area and the book has really provided a great framework to work with. We'll have a statement of faith for leaders but anyone can join, we'll also have a discipline policy and go over standards of behavior with the families. I think having a plan in place before problems arise is the KEY to any group involving homeschooling families (or any group!) We like to say "expect the best, prepare for the worst"... Hope that helps!