Menu

R&S Grammar Questions - 2 vs. 3, and new vs. old

frugalmama

How much difference is there between R&S 2nd grade english and R&S 3rd grade English? Could a second grade student go into the 3rd grade book easily without having any grammar instruction prior?

And how much difference is there between the older editions {1983 copyright} and the newer editions {1990's copyright}? Are the newer editions less religious?

We was planning on using R&S 2nd grade english but creating packets out of it similar to ACE or lifepacs and making it secular. I had seen the 3rd grade student book of the newer edtion, but ordered the 2nd grade TM, older edition to save funds. It came today and I'm not really happy with it - it's quite a bit more religious than the 3rd grade book is. I'm used to this with R&S though, but I wasn't expecting quite that much more religious of a book. Is it because I have the older edition?

R&S 3rd grade English is completely different from R&S 2nd grade English.

While R&S 2nd grade English covers a lot of information, it requires a lot more writing than most 2nd graders are ready for (if you complete all of the assignments). We do most of it orally (which would allow you to edit the content if you wished).

If your child is ready for the 3rd grade level, I would go straight to that. I use the workbooks for that level and supplement with assignments from the text.

I am not certain, but I think the new editions are mainly just reformatted. I do not think that subsequent versions are any "less religious."

From just a glance at R&S 3, I'd say 2 is much more religious in content. We've finished the first unit of 2, and almost ever lesson revolved around a Bible story. It's not a problem here, but I think it would be hard to make it work secularly.

Yes R&S 3 (new version - I've never seen the old) is very religious. You can't miss it. Though I don't think I've come across exercises where you had to know the Bible story. I ran across at least one or two of those in R&S 2 (also new version). They involved a slightly lesser known Bible story (one I wouldn't expect a non-Christian to know), and you had to know the story in order to do the exercise. Thankfully, my son knew the story well, so it wasn't a problem for him. Phew!

Have you looked at some more secular resources, like FLL, GWG... Is PLL secular? I forget. Personally, my favorite grammar is KISS Grammar, but they don't have a 1st grade book. For my middle son, I may do Grammar Land in 1st, then move into KISS in 2nd. We'll see. I have another year to decide. :D My older son likely could have done KISS 2nd grade book in 1st (he did 3rd grade book in 2nd), but DS2 probably won't be able to do that (he has speech/language issues). We're still working on question word order with DS2. I might have to pull in some basic R&S exercises for that stuff.

There are a lot of good grammar resources out there. I personally wouldn't go through the work of secularizing R&S personally, and I own grades 2, 3, and 4.

We did 2nd for a while but dropped it--just moved too slowly for us.

Go ahead and get 3, if you really want to do grammar.

Also, just a suggestion, I wouldn't bother making it into a workbook. Do most of it orally. There's a ton of practice, and you don't need to do everything; at least, you don't have to write everything. You can, I think, tailor it easier orally, too.

Have you looked at some more secular resources, like FLL, GWG... Is PLL secular? I forget. Personally, my favorite grammar is KISS Grammar, but they don't have a 1st grade book. For my middle son, I may do Grammar Land in 1st, then move into KISS in 2nd. We'll see. I have another year to decide. :D My older son likely could have done KISS 2nd grade book in 1st (he did 3rd grade book in 2nd), but DS2 probably won't be able to do that (he has speech/language issues). We're still working on question word order with DS2. I might have to pull in some basic R&S exercises for that stuff.

There are a lot of good grammar resources out there. I personally wouldn't go through the work of secularizing R&S personally, and I own grades 2, 3, and 4.

Fll / Pll wasn't a good fit for my dd when I looked at it. GWG would have been perfect, but it's not available on Amazon which is a must for me. I'm not familiar with KISS really - do you have a link? I kinda of think I looked at it before and decided it wouldn't work, but I can't remember for sure.

I just can't seem to find anything that meets our criteria - secular, low cost and available on Amazon, includes diagramming, in an independent workbook style format without a lot of bright colors in the illustrations to distract dd. I like LLATL but I think doing that on top of SL would just be way too much reading.

Right now we're using Climbing to Good English, but I really don't feel it has enough grammar. I really like the solid grammar instruction of R&S, but the religiousness of it makes me :ack2:

I'm not familiar with KISS really - do you have a link? I kinda of think I looked at it before and decided it wouldn't work, but I can't remember for sure.

http://home.pct.edu/~evavra/kiss/wb/PBooks/index.htm

Scroll down to the KISS Level 1 grade 2 workbook, and make sure you also get the Answer Key ("AK"). That's what you would want. If you have a tablet, it can be done completely on that. If not, you can print it out with a laser printer. In KISS, the kids really learn grammar - way more than you'll get in the early grades of R&S.

KISS does NOT include diagramming, but that would be easy to add in, I think. There are free sites online that teach diagramming.

http://home.pct.edu/~evavra/kiss/wb/PBooks/index.htm

Scroll down to the KISS Level 1 grade 2 workbook, and make sure you also get the Answer Key ("AK"). That's what you would want. If you have a tablet, it can be done completely on that. If not, you can print it out with a laser printer. In KISS, the kids really learn grammar - way more than you'll get in the early grades of R&S.

KISS does NOT include diagramming, but that would be easy to add in, I think. There are free sites online that teach diagramming.

Yes, I looked at this one before. I didn't feel it was instructional enough for my dd and that implementing it would be confusing for me.

Thanks for the link though.