Menu

What would cause a skin reaction during church? (Food dye???)

My dd has been having what I thought was on an off eczema on her face. I haven't been sure what's causing it.

However...

When I dropped her off at church (in a school gym) yesterday her face was completely clear. When I picked her up she had an outbreak over her chin and a little under her nose. Nothing out of the normal was done. She had Skittles to eat there.

But...

Her friend also had a reaction to something and she had NOT eaten anything up to that point. Hers was on her arm, about 2 inches across it.

Weird! They could be separate cases, as I'm not sure if they're related.

Thoughts?

Lotion? Handsoap? Contact with an irritant from someone else? Was she around someone who sprayed perfume in the bathroom? Or even hairspray?

Hard to tell I think.

I have one that battles eczema. I used to love mysteries until I had to solve so many IN REAL LIFE!

:grouphug:

Oh! My son came home with a rash on his face once and we figured out it was from cinnamon sugar donuts! We tried it at home just to see and sure enough! He broke out! But...he can eat both cinnamon and sugar in other things. Maybe because the *way* he eats donuts more of it ends up on his face??? Who knows??

My daughter is highly allergic to Red 40 and it causes her to have eczema like rashes on her face, chest, stomach, and arms. It also causes her to vomit.

She basically cannot eat anything DYED red, pink, or purple. Sometimes blue things as well. She can have things that are naturally red (like tomato sauce).

Whatever it is, I hope the poor thing gets some relief soon!

EDITED:

Adding this link. Obviously I'm not saying it's the Red 40 but just in case. I know it took me many sleepless night of a vomiting kid before I figured it out. :) http://www.ehow.com/about_5031986_signs-symptoms-allergy-red-dye.html

Edited by MiniBlondes

I don`t know if food dyes can cause eczema specifically, my son is allergic to food dye and he breaks out into gigantic hives. A rash would make me wonder if they applied sunscreen to the kids at church? Or maybe hand sanitizer or a lotion?

Guest IndieMama

My daughter is allergic to food coloring, and anytime I see rashes near the mouth, that's a red flag to me regarding what a kid ate. Skittles are so full of petroleum, kids aren't equipped to deal with that (no human truly is). Artificial dyes cause a long list of ills such as eczema, bed wetting, aggression, hyperactivity, learning and focus problems, tantrums, and sleep problems. They've been linked to cancers in lab tests on animals.

If you're interested in learning more, please visit my blog, "Die, Food Dye!" at http://www.DieFoodDye.com, and feel free to post questions on my Facebook page for DFD. Our community of experienced dye-free parents will be happy to help.

I am thrilled to find this forum, as my DD is really unchallenged at public school. I'm looking to build up my own confidence so maybe I can homeschool her in 3rd/4th grades. Not to mention, the schools don't follow our additive-free diet...yet. I've joined the nutrition committee in hopes of changing that...