Menu

Fun and light French program for a 5 year old?

My DS5 is entering French Immersion kindgergarten in the Fall. I am looking for something light to help prepare him over the summer. Right now we sometimes read French picture books from the library and sometimes discuss French vocab. He doesn't like the Little Pim or Professor Toto videos.

I want to do something more formal with him. Any suggestions?

His JK teacher said that learning in the classroom might be more challenging for him since he is quiet and so much of the the learning French in K is through speaking and participating.

I would spend the summer teaching vocab. One week you can focus on greetings, then family, then numbers, another week on colors, then animals, etc... That's pretty much how L'art de Dire is set up and that's the gentlest program that I have seen so far for French. If you speak French, you don't need to spend money on the curriculum. You can wing it by looking at any standard beginner TOC and developing lists from there. I also had my boys drill some irregular verbs (etre, avoir, faire, aller, vouloir) and practiced them by having them translate super simple sentences from English to French.

I don't think you need to do anything else since Kindergarten will take it from there (phonics, grammar, etc).