Menu

DSS is moving out!

I am so relieved. The stress that has been in our house for the last few years has made for a very uncomfortable living situation. DH and I are both "alpha dogs," and having a 3rd person trying to find himself as an adult within our home has been very trying.

This weekend he told us that he and his friend are getting an apartment and he moves out on the 15th. This is his first real step forward toward independence since his mom died over 2 years ago. I am very happy for him, and happy for us as well.

I just wanted to share.

Sounds like a healthy move for all of you. I hope that you start to forge a new adult relationship with him.

Thank you Jean! That is our hope as well. We understand his desire to be independent but when you live in a home, the rules of the house apply regardless of age. Part of him looking for independence has involved a complete disregard for our rules and it has made it very difficult for everyone. Living elsewhere will free him from our rules, and free us from having to enforce our rules on another adult.