Menu

ADHD and Meltdowns

Hey There, I'm looking for some help with meltdowns :( I never really saw the difference between a tantrum and a meltdown, but I think that my son is having meltdowns (as opposed to tantrums) He becomes fixated on something that he didn't "get" like say yesterday. His friend and he fished... and his friend got 2 fish and he only got one huge one that he didn't get to reel in all the way (it got off). My husband actually tried to "get the fish" as it was on the mud where it was almost able to be reached. SO, my husband had wet feet/shoes... (and it was on his jean legs, too) We ended up having to take off because that was only part of the day. In the walk back he was beside himself crying (that gasp/cry/horrible sound) and my husband thought he could make him stop.... So he kinda started getting on him.... I ended up taking him and having him bite the apple. (I knew he was hungry) I'm pretty sure that this isn't meds related, but more age/ADHD in general. He is taking meds, though, for his ADHD.

I just read ADHD Meltdowns and am hoping to form a plan. If someone has successfully come out of this stage... I'd love to know. I actually am not the easily embarrassed type (in relation to my kids) but it makes me more embarrassed to see my husband frustrated, even though I understand. :(

Hints/Been there, Done that help?

Thanks!:bigear:

Feed frequently with natural healthful foods (not artificial anything, protein and fat to balance carbs, even if it is an apple and healthy it can give a sugar spike, IME, so I try to bring also something like cheese to balance the sugars). Feed before activities and every 2 hours during. Explain in advance what behavior is expected. Anticipate things that may happen and practice ahead of time what type of behavior is appropriate. Practice activities in very small increments while behavior can remain appropriate, work up to longer play times (or fishing times). (Luckily many children want to be correct f they know what that is...a desire to do well in sportsmanship can take over from the desire to get the fish like the friend, for example). Terminate activity for inappropriate behavior. Explain what is needed when calmed down. Do not try to explain during the tantrum/meltdown.

bump for more ideas from others

Hey There, I'm looking for some help with meltdowns :( I never really saw the difference between a tantrum and a meltdown, but I think that my son is having meltdowns (as opposed to tantrums) He becomes fixated on something that he didn't "get" like say yesterday. His friend and he fished... and his friend got 2 fish and he only got one huge one that he didn't get to reel in all the way (it got off). My husband actually tried to "get the fish" as it was on the mud where it was almost able to be reached. SO, my husband had wet feet/shoes... (and it was on his jean legs, too) We ended up having to take off because that was only part of the day. In the walk back he was beside himself crying (that gasp/cry/horrible sound) and my husband thought he could make him stop.... So he kinda started getting on him.... I ended up taking him and having him bite the apple. (I knew he was hungry) I'm pretty sure that this isn't meds related, but more age/ADHD in general. He is taking meds, though, for his ADHD.

I just read ADHD Meltdowns and am hoping to form a plan. If someone has successfully come out of this stage... I'd love to know. I actually am not the easily embarrassed type (in relation to my kids) but it makes me more embarrassed to see my husband frustrated, even though I understand. :(

Hints/Been there, Done that help?

Thanks!:bigear:

I'm very interested in the replies you get.

We REALLY have the fixation issue with one dc, but no attention problems. Dh and I find it one of the most difficult things to deal with. This dc is like a pit bull and does not give up. It's tough because it seems so very much out of the dc's control--like that brain is a skipping record and keeps going back to that same thing, some kind of neurological glitch. I wish I knew what it was. That might help in figuring out the best way to discipline.

If this helps, I have often attributed the meltdowns to the sensory-seeking type of SPD. Are you dealing with any sensory stuff? If so, you may want to try sensory integration activities.

Another bump and another thought. The link you give mentioned hitting pillows or the like, I believe. My experience is this did not help, and I read of studies that show that this can increase the need to do more of that behavior (and maybe increases the feelings of anger) rather than helping to release it. I think the idea of doing something that involves breathing like blowing up the balloon sounds interesting. We started some chi gung, and I now see my son sometimes go into his chi gung energy centering position when he seems to need it. I am hoping to do more along those lines. Art for mine is very helpful also if he is able to do it.

My kids also get more worked up if I have them hit pillows or whatever. I feel your pain, OP. I've posted threads about it before. It's exhausting. I know I did it as a kid, too, and am only slightly better at not doing it now. :tongue_smilie: An incentive chart has been helping for us this week, surprisingly. A lot of time outside helps, too.