Menu

Will I be happy with Mystery of History if I am Catholic?

From what I've seen, I simply love the format! But, I am Catholic and although I do not necessarily need something from that viewpoint only, I also do not want something from only the Protestant viewpoint. Anyone care to help? Or offer suggestions for something else similar? My son will be in in 7th. Thanks.

I'm going to use RC History for this precise reason. It was recommended to me by someone on another forum. You may not like the way a non denom Christian lays out the history in the reformation period or treats early Church history. There is also history links to consider which is more of a unit study approach. Both these are specifically Catholic. History and science are my primary area of concern when sorting through Catholic vs. Christian since most of the Christian labelled resources are actually Protestant and/or fundamentalist wordlviews. For science, I'm just going to go with secular because, like many Catholics, we are not YEC people and the secular science doesn't conflict with Catholic doctrine.

Look at the middle school history series from the Catholic Schools Textbook Project. My dd used the American history textbook this year and she really enjoyed it. I wish we were homeschooling longer so that I had an excuse to buy Light to the Nations I and II. Sometimes you can find them used on amazon or elsewhere; google the ISBN (I think I bought something cheaper - maybe cheaper shipping - from Ignatius Press). Eta, I found the TM to be very useful for the discussion questions, and dd enjoyed writing in the PDF workbook.

Edited by wapiti