Menu

AP Art History Study Group

If you're interested in a small, student-led, live study group for the May 7, 2013 AP Art History exam, PM me before September 2012.

DD is convening the group. She'll follow a syllabus I'm preparing. Pending a technology test, she might be able to include a motivated study buddy via Google Hangout or Skype. Tuesday mornings, 10-11:30 EST, September 25 through May 1, with several breaks between (and four dates reserved for Washington, DC gallery visits in October, December, February and April).

Spine: Gardner's Art Through the Ages: A Global History, 13th edition, by Kleiner (ISBN 0-495-09307-6). Study Guide: Vol. I and Vol. II for Gardner's 13th edition, by Cohen (ISBN 0-495-50391-6 and ISBN 0-495-50392-4). Other texts will include The Annotated Mona Lisa, 2nd edition, by Strickland (ISBN 0-7407-6872-7).

If interested, PM me with your questions and thoughts, and any resources you have to offer the study group (which could consist of nothing more than commitment and curiosity about art history and life). Advice, especially if based on experience, is also welcome.:bigear:

DD is seeking serious study buddies capable of making a firm commitment after the first session or two. For example, she assumes you would courteously notify your fellow students of a planned absence rather than be a no-show; and follow through on any promises you make, such as researching a topic or sharing materials with the group. Before starting, the group will agree on some basic rules of etiquette.

If you are not familiar with AP (Advanced Placement) or the AP Art History course, please see the College Board website before responding.

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/sub_art.html?arthist

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Our AP Art History syllabus was approved by College Board today. Yay! Time has shifted to 11-12:30 EST. First meeting September 25. Still finalizing membership, but might have room for another remote member. If you think you can make a commitment, read the first post in this thread, check out College Board, and PM me. Wish us luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The exam is next Tuesday. Wish them luck!

(And Sebastian, I wish your students good luck with AP US Government and Politics next year! PM me if you like -- we're also forming a group that starts next fall, but with a different format than we did for AP Art History.)

We're so glad we did this. We had three bodies each week (one being a disembodied head on a computer screen). Two others joined us quarterly and for museum visits, during which a very knowledgeable adult gave us some great guidance. Our distance student hit different museums on the West Coast and told us about her adventures. The locals did multiple visits to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, the National Gallery, and the Hirshhorn.

I'm super-pleased with my choice to use the Teaching Company lectures by Sharon Latchaw Hirsh, which focused on tools of visual analysis and some contextual analysis (we also used Ori Soltes' Art Across the Ages); Gardner's remains a fabulous spine; and the Annotated Mona Lisa is a good supplement. I relied heavily on the publisher's paperback study guides (2 volumes), which were not problem-free (or error-free) but they did save me many, many hours of development time. Oh, and I added to our household's insane number of postcard reproductions by buying Susan Benford's "250 Masterpieces" boxed set. Good quality. We could play art history Go Fish for years.

Sebastian-a-Lady, I just asked my DD (the study group leader) what her main lessons were. On the tech side, she says you should definitely set up Google Hangout (or whatever you're using) BEFORE class and give the virtual person a phone call fifteen minutes before. (Her mom agrees! Even when we had tech worked out, there were a few weeks with glitches.) DD adds that when students prepare a glossary or side-by-side exercise for the group (we rotated these responsibilities), make sure they remember to share it electronically with all group members at least the night before. Finally, she says it's okay for study group members to have different goals -- not all of her members are taking the AP exam, for instance -- as long as everyone comes prepared for a real discussion. Agreeing honestly about this ahead of time made for a congenial atmosphere. The fact that each kid WANTED to be there was key. I know they had fun.

As their adult facilitator, what I did for the students was to cook up a good syllabus based on the AP course description, with a calendar of detailed assignments, including essays and online exercises, and correlated lectures. I also built in exam prep using the REA book. There were blanks for the study group leader to fill in (e.g. group rules, coordination the week before each field trip, and who would supply various student-written exercises each week). After the first couple of weeks, they were on their own, with me listening on the sidelines -- except for some targeted help with essay writing for AP exam formats, a midterm, and review. It really has been a student-led experience, which worked very well with these students.

As those who self-study know, there are advantages to having a lecture-format class taught by an experienced instructor who really knows the content (if you're a genuinely interested student) but you can't always have that, and taking the responsibility to learn is so very empowering. So I'd encourage parents who merely love a subject to give the study group approach a shot if their students have a passion for something. This cost us nothing but time, books, videos, and some gas.

Finally, nobody has to develop a sanctioned syllabus to help their students prepare for an AP exam, but I'm glad I got my syllabus reviewed and approved. It really helped us understand what the course should be about. The College Board's EDG (electronic discussion group) for AP Art History is <not> as active as others I've participated in, but this is its first year on a new platform. I was grateful to get input from experienced teachers who really know teenagers and this particular course.

The exam is next Tuesday. Wish them luck!

Good luck to the three students (bodied and disembodied!).

It sounds as though you had a fabulous way of making this work. Kudos to you and your daughter.

Regards,

Kareni

• 2 weeks later...

This is a big help. Your comment about students having different goals is spot on. Within our coop I've been telling people that it doesn't matter if they take the AP exam or not. Or even if they use exactly the same book. But they do have to come to class prepared for the discussions and activities we'll be doing.

I hope your dd gets great scores back.

• 1 month later...